International intensive student, FL weather sucked, Phoenix AZ instead?

topdog91

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
topdog91
Hi all,

I live in Israel and it's one of my goals to get a PPL, preferably in an intensive course in the USA. Partly for the experience, partly for the lower cost. Due to the timing of the Jewish holidays, I'm usually only able to take a good chunk of vacation time around September-October most years.

In September 2015, I prepared everything (there's a lot to think about and do) and went to Tailwheels, Etc in Lakeland FL. Everything would have been alright except that the thunderstorms and clouds stopped me flying anywhere near the required amount, even in the first few days, so I aborted and spent the rest of my time in Miami with friends. This was terribly disappointing, but with problems like that, life is alright.

I'd like to have another go. A friend is a private jet pilot, based in Phoenix AZ (by DVT), and he said that the weather in AZ is a lot better than FL. I have read about Westwind and Transpac and it doesn't look great. Any recent opinions on these?

Also, I'm open to other options for a school that is in an area with decent weather during October, prices, and a good attitude. If it's near a city with good nightlife, that's a bonus. Doesn't have to be AZ.

Note that as an international student, I need an SEVP-certified school, which limits my choice considerably. So if you're kind enough to read this and make recommendations, please make sure the recommendation is listed at https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search (choose Flight School from the Education type drop-down, and make sure M-1 visa is ticked).

July-Sept are thunderstorm rich in Florida, I believe August is monsoon season in Az. October is pretty good anywhere although a tropical storm can wreak havoc anywhere in southeast.

I should have mentioned that - I am aware of them - the doctor that passed my medical certificate mentioned them. I've already sent them an email - their site doesn't mention how intensive they can get (remember my time is somewhat limited).

Can you elaborate on your experience i.e. why I should give them a call? :)

July-Sept are thunderstorm rich in Florida, I believe August is monsoon season in Az. October is pretty good anywhere although a tropical storm can wreak havoc anywhere in southeast.

You know what, with hindsight, it's amazing that the school took me on at that time of year, knowing my time was limited. It was gutting, preparing for a couple of months, and bailing after four days.

in October?

There is an international school at Castle in Atwater, CA. Every day will be VFR that time of year. No nightlife at all, but you won't have time.

With a little more risk and a lot more airspace, there is Los Angeles. Summer isn't great due to frequent marine layer, but it should be gone by October and the rainy season won't start until December. I think American Flyers runs an intensive course out of Santa Monica.

There are lots of choices. October is the best weather along the west coast.

There is a least one outfit in North Las Vegas, and a buddy is out there right now banging out certificate after certificate (next is CFII). I don't think you'll beat that nightlife anywhere else.

I did a ton of training in the south east, and managed to get folks from 0-CPL in short order, year round.

The thunderstorms would be a go to lunch or ground school break, come back as they passed and get some hours in, you said you only gave it a few days before bailing and partying in Miami? you sure you didn't just want to go play in Miami?

You want year round weather, here ya go
http://desertwestaviation.com

Good place, I know the owner, good guy, but it is SoCal there is lots of fun stuff to do, I'm sure you could even find a excuse to bail (maybe too hot?) and go to SD or LA, but if you're serious about getting stuff done and are honestly concerned with wx, the coachella valley will not give you any valid excuses not to fly.

You know what, with hindsight, it's amazing that the school took me on at that time of year, knowing my time was limited. It was gutting, preparing for a couple of months, and bailing after four days.

How much time did you plan for ?

in October?

There is an international school at Castle in Atwater, CA. Every day will be VFR that time of year. No nightlife at all, but you won't have time.

With a little more risk and a lot more airspace, there is Los Angeles. Summer isn't great due to frequent marine layer, but it should be gone by October and the rainy season won't start until December. I think American Flyers runs an intensive course out of Santa Monica.

There are lots of choices. October is the best weather along the west coast.

There is a least one outfit in North Las Vegas, and a buddy is out there right now banging out certificate after certificate (next is CFII). I don't think you'll beat that nightlife anywhere else.

All interesting, I'll check those out. Thanks! And I'm not talking about staying out all night, I can get home by 02:00. ;)

In edit: I guess you meant Sierra at Castle. I just emailed them. Santa Monica looks cool, I emailed American Flyers. And in North Las Vegas, I just emailed Elite. Thanks!

I did a ton of training in the south east, and managed to get folks from 0-CPL in short order, year round.

The thunderstorms would be a go to lunch or ground school break, come back as they passed and get some hours in, you said you only gave it a few days before bailing and partying in Miami? you sure you didn't just want to go play in Miami?

You want year round weather, here ya go
http://desertwestaviation.com

Good place, I know the owner, good guy, but it is SoCal there is lots of fun stuff to do, I'm sure you could even find a excuse to bail (maybe too hot?) and go to SD or LA, but if you're serious about getting stuff done and are honestly concerned with wx, the coachella valley will not give you any valid excuses not to fly.

Yes, I'm sure. The thunderstorms were much longer than lunch, and we lost a whole day or two. They didn't seem too interested in ground school, they'd asked me to prepare to pass before arriving (which I did). Miami was also disappointing (I realize I come across as negative ;)), bit shallow, couldn't find any decent bars with live music.

I'll definitely check out the recommendation, thank you! In edit: Desert West doesn't appear on the link I gave, therefore they can't teach international (M-1) students.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised, have you already paid a block rate ahead of time?

Living in the SE my whole life, this time of year is inevitable for pop up shower and T-storms, especially in the afternoon and FL is no exception. It's not a game changer you just have to plan for them. Try to do the majority of your training in morning hours or late evening if possible and you should be fine. GL!

I'm not surprised, have you already paid a block rate ahead of time?

Living in the SE my whole life, this time of year is inevitable for pop up shower and T-storms, especially in the afternoon and FL is no exception. It's not a game changer you just have to plan for them. Try to do the majority of your training in morning hours or late evening if possible and you should be fine. GL!

I did, but they were very cool about it, and refunded me pro-rata. Sorry, but I have no inclination to go back to FL for this, it's unpredictable at best.

I did, but they were very cool about it, and refunded me pro-rata. Sorry, but I have no inclination to go back to FL for this, it's unpredictable at best.
I understand. Flying in the SW will likely give you fewer down days. I did some flying in New Mexico this past May and it was excellent weather everyday besides some gusty winds on a few of the days, I'm sure AZ is similar. I hope you can find somewhere else that works for ya.

I'm curious. Did you partake substantially of the nightlife, and sleep late? Florida, especially central Florida, is known for afternoon thunderstorms in the summer, but mornings and evenings are usually pretty good flying weather. As I look out my window right now, it looks like great flying weather.

But you are doing the right thing by researching weather patterns during your available time. I guess I took a slight offense at the "Florida sucked" part of your title. Florida is one of the leading pilot training areas in the world, for a reason.

I'm curious. Did you partake substantially of the nightlife, and sleep late? Florida, especially central Florida, is known for afternoon thunderstorms in the summer, but mornings and evenings are usually pretty good flying weather. As I look out my window right now, it looks like great flying weather.

But you are doing the right thing by researching weather patterns during your available time. I guess I took a slight offense at the "Florida sucked" part of your title. Florida is one of the leading pilot training areas in the world, for a reason.

Not at all, I stayed in Tampa, a beer in the evenings and an early start to drive to Lakeland. I'll edit the title, didn't meant to cause offence. :)

Not at all, I stayed in Tampa, a beer in the evenings and an early start to drive to Lakeland. I'll edit the title, didn't meant to cause offence. :)
I wouldn't bother (trying t edit the title). A little offense never hurt anyone. Good luck with your mission.

Does Az have problems with high winds and mountain waves?
Not so much. Major wind events in the PHX area are rare and usually associated with thunderstorms. Those occur most frequently in "Monsoon season" -- late July through early September, and mostly (but not always) in the afternoons and evenings. Once in a while those bring dramatic dust storms. Those are the exception, though; the vast majority of the time the flying weather is great.

Unlike Reno, for example, the Phoenix area is upwind of the higher mountains, so mountain waves are rare.

What you do have in AZ are heat (thankfully low humidity, except for monsoon season), high density altitudes, and associated thermal turbulence all the way up to oxygen altitudes. In the PHX area there is heavy traffic -- airline and extensive civil and military training.

Last edited:
Does Az have problems with high winds and mountain waves?
From what I remember, during the time I was in NM, there was a front over Colorado and Albuquerque was getting the winds off of it for a few days. Otherwise, I assume AZ and most of the SW has about the same weather.

Not so much. Major wind events in the PHX area are rare and usually associated with thunderstorms. Those occur most frequently in "Monsoon season" -- late July through early September, and mostly (but not always) in the afternoons and evenings. Once in a while those bring dramatic dust storms. Those are the exception, though; the vast majority of the time the flying weather is great.

I vaguely remember a bunch of planes being turned over and smashed up down by Chandler due to a wind storm. And I had to bag a trip to California around xmas of 2014, forecasted winds of 40-50 at 9000' from a weather system off the pacific. But other times I've been there it's been quite nice, but that's before I became a pilot

There are several options in the Dallas - Ft Worth, TX area, including an American Flyers at Addison if you'd like to learn at a towered airport under the Bravo. Should cost less over-all than California because you can get a hotel, apartment, or rent a room from someone for less.

And it's really flat with no marine layer.

There are several options in the Dallas - Ft Worth, TX area, including an American Flyers at Addison if you'd like to learn at a towered airport under the Bravo. Should cost less over-all than California because you can get a hotel, apartment, or rent a room from someone for less.

And it's really flat with no marine layer.

I got in touch with them. I've never been to Texas. :D

Might be pricier area, but...

Check out Sunrise Aviation in Southern California at John Wayne (KSNA). They are "M-1" on your link. No guarantees, but weather is pretty good around here most all the time. You'll get lots of good radio experience at a class Charlie and in this crowded area too.

http://www.sunriseaviation.com

Might be pricier area, but...

Check out Sunrise Aviation in Southern California at John Wayne (KSNA). They are "M-1" on your link. No guarantees, but weather is pretty good around here most all the time. You'll get lots of good radio experience at a class Charlie and in this crowded area too.

http://www.sunriseaviation.com

Contacted. I have a lady friend in Miami, and one in Los Angeles too. I feel a bit like a sailor. :D

Thanks to everybody for participating so far, I remember from last year, this is one friendly and useful forum. I don't know how else I could have gotten some clarity on the matter.

I learned at Sunrise too. Top-notch school, good practice at wake turbulence avoidance with all those 737s, and no two trips around the pattern are the same. IIRC, TPA is 850' and helicopters below at 400'. Marine layer is a factor, though.

I should have mentioned that - I am aware of them - the doctor that passed my medical certificate mentioned them. I've already sent them an email - their site doesn't mention how intensive they can get (remember my time is somewhat limited).

Can you elaborate on your experience i.e. why I should give them a call? :)

WIFA seems to specialize in Israeli students like yourself, coming over to knock out a rating. The owner and many of the instructors are Israelis too. I believe they even have some housing available for international students.

Back