International flights..

Darrell111

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Darrell111
Can anyone recommend a good site for purchasing airline tickets for flights that originate internationaly and end internationaly? I am flying American to Bogota Colombia on Jan 2nd but i have to buy a ticket from Bogota to Bucarumunga Colombia and the only site i found so far that does that is Expedia. Its pretty expensive though, $250.

Just wondering if any of you have more experience with this then i do and can throw some tips my way.

Thanks in advance
Darrell

Oh...dude...you need to learn about Kayak.com. Best travel site I've found.

You mispelled Bucaramanga above but once I figured it out kayak did the search. Round trip for $245.

Looks like Avianca is the airline of choice.

smigaldi said:
Darrel I think you will find that outside of the US and Europe that air travel ain't cheap. $250 sounds about right.
$250 roundtrip isn't cheap? Guess I'm already used to being in Alaska :(

smigaldi said:
I flew first class roundtrip to Dallas last week for $118. It was on American Airlines
Sigh. One way ANC to Edmonton $350.

Roundtrip Anchorage to Memphis off peak with Saturday night stay $750.

First class upgrade? Better get in line with the 30 other folks with lots of miles.

Last edited:
alaskaflyer said:
First class upgrade? Better get in line with the 30 other folks with lots of miles.

Yeah, I look behind me in the upgrade line at all the poor souls who get to spend time at home and don't have the lifetime 2.5 million miles on AA that I have earned by having to travel 3 to 4 months year. Gherry knows what I mean.

I know i spend far to much time at O'Hare. Wlked in once and started asking the guy behind the counter about his kid is basic training and how the new car was doing got my bording pass and walked away. My wife was with and asked how I knew all that stuff about him. Well, I said, I have been coming here a lot and we have talking. I have run into the same flight crews on multiple flights over the years and some have even remembered me.

smigaldi said:
Yeah, I look behind me in the upgrade line at all the poor souls who get to spend time at home and don't have the lifetime 2.5 million miles on AA that I have earned by having to travel 3 to 4 months year. Gherry knows what I mean.

2.1 million on Delta, plus another 500K smattered across UA, AA, US, WN, and YX. YX is my favorite when I can fly 'em. It would be even higher if I hadn't been flying myself so much since 2001.

I got to the point that I refused to book an international trip unless the upgrade would clear immediately. Domestically, as Platinum on DL, you could clear the upgrade in advance without doing the airport shuffle. YX has all the seats equivalent to domestic first.

I know i spend far to much time at O'Hare. Wlked in once and started asking the guy behind the counter about his kid is basic training and how the new car was doing got my bording pass and walked away. My wife was with and asked how I knew all that stuff about him. Well, I said, I have been coming here a lot and we have talking. I have run into the same flight crews on multiple flights over the years and some have even remembered me.

You too, huh? Back in the old days, I'd occasionally be "gifted" a bottle of wine or tin of caviar by the crew following a long flight. Those days are long gone (he says wistfully).

smigaldi said:
Darrel I think you will find that outside of the US and Europe that air travel ain't cheap. $250 sounds about right.
No thats not that cheap :mad: I mean the flight is over a month away, its only 1.5 hours or so and they dont have the wonderful FAA looming over thier heads. Anywho..

Guess i have to suck it up and just get the ticket...

Lucky for me im flying down there First class on AA to Bogota for 40 bucks!! ( Moms and employee ;) )

Wow - how the hell are you guys getting tickets so cheap? Even southwest charges me more than that to fly from Albuquerque to anywhere else.

Amazing.

smigaldi said:

South America it's probably about right.

Europe can be even cheaper on the base-fare than the US (especially in the UK), but plan on paying add-on fees for everything - checked bag, water on the flight, seat reservation, etc. And some of the cheap airlines limit your handbaggage so much that you have to check even a small suitcase.

Another question..

you know how they say dont drink the water in Mexico.. does that apply to Colombia :D

Darrell111 said:
Another question..

you know how they say dont drink the water in Mexico.. does that apply to Colombia :D

Yeah, don't drink Mexican water in Columbia.

Every new place you go, no matter where on earth, you will be exposed to new types of germs, bacteria, virus, etc. Take simple precautions to keep yourself safe.

For instance do not eat raw vegtables, no salad, no lettuce or tomatoes on your burger. Always eat cooked food.

Have hot drinks or canned/bottled drinks, don't pour your bottled water on ice cubes. In fact don't drink anything with ice in it. Lots of time ice is made from tap water.

Keep your mouth closed in the shower and use bottled water to brush your teeth.

Eat food that are cooked well done. No rare meat.

If anythng tastes metalic stop eating it.

smigaldi said:
...use bottled water to brush your teeth.

I find that one to be really hard to remember. Morning and night routines are so ingrained. I'm pretty sure that's how I got the nasty little bug in Honduras. I lost about 12 pounds that time, and I'm not exactly overweight.

Chris

Back