International Falls MN RV Camping

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
We're wanting to do dispersed camping/boondocking with our bus on our next trip in the International Falls area around the Koochiching forest. We aren't having much luck figuring this out. There is apparently dispersed camping allowed, but the ranger station wasn't very helpful and we haven't been able to find much for Googling on it. The ranger station told us that you can camp with an RV off of any of the roads, but it's not clear entirely what that means. We've only done the dispersed camping/boondocking like this once before, in the Badlands. It went great and we really enjoyed it, but we're a bit gunshy not finding any blogs about anyone who's done this in the International Falls area.

Anyone familiar with the area who can provide some insight?

There are a few apps out there for boondokers and the Vanlifers to find spots:

iOverlander
Boondocking
FreeRoam
Allstays Camp & Rv
Camperdium

Thanks for the input, I'll look some more. My wife likes to have everything planned out. It seems to me like we should be able to find something, although the fact that there's not a lot for camping blogs and such out there would tend to indicate that there's probably a reason for that. I'll check out some of the apps @Shawn mentioned, and I'll see what I can find.

Thanks for the input, I'll look some more. My wife likes to have everything planned out. It seems to me like we should be able to find something, although the fact that there's not a lot for camping blogs and such out there would tend to indicate that there's probably a reason for that. I'll check out some of the apps @Shawn mentioned, and I'll see what I can find.

I'm torn on that concept these days - sometimes the reason an area doesn't have good intel is because it's a good spot and the few that know about it don't want the whole world to know about it. Trout fishing spots are a good example - I used to tear up the interwebs looking for hidden gems of fishing spots in the mountains, but once I actually got off the beaten path and explored and found my own spots, I refuse to put them online for others to find without putting in the effort. :)

Edit to add something useful: I'm not familiar with that area - is a National Forest? If so, you can usually get a Vehicle Use Map that will identify camp spots on it. Or sometimes those National Geographic maps have them marked as well. Or maybe alltrails.com will have some of them?

I'm torn on that concept these days - sometimes the reason an area doesn't have good intel is because it's a good spot and the few that know about it don't want the whole world to know about it. Trout fishing spots are a good example - I used to tear up the interwebs looking for hidden gems of fishing spots in the mountains, but once I actually got off the beaten path and explored and found my own spots, I refuse to put them online for others to find without putting in the effort. :)

Edit to add something useful: I'm not familiar with that area - is a National Forest? If so, you can usually get a Vehicle Use Map that will identify camp spots on it. Or sometimes those National Geographic maps have them marked as well. Or maybe alltrails.com will have some of them?

You selfish bastard!!!! :D

That's the big thought that I've had as well. Nobody who knows these good, secret areas wants the rest of the world to find them and have it be easy. My thought is that there are probably plenty of places up there, and with the Land Rover we can scout out and find where those might be, then bring the bus.

I would think this a less busy national forest than most. Its a fairly long haul from the Twin Cities and 98% of us Minnesota's seek out lakes, the great lakes or the BWCA to the east.

Its been crazy dry here so building fires might be your biggest issue. Skeeters can be crazy bad but the drought can really keep the levels down.

Back