Intermittent rs232 on G5 HSI

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by Creekrat, Mar 21, 2020.

  1. Creekrat

    Creekrat Pre-Flight

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2019
    Messages:
    37
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Creekrat
    We just completed an avionics self installation under supervision of our IA. 430W, G5 HSI, new transponder and audio panel. Everything worked great with the exception of the G5 dropping the rs232 data. Didn’t have time to go through the setup today but should be able to Monday. Just checking to see if anyone has had this issue or could direct me where to look for the issue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  2. Jesse Saint

    Jesse Saint Pre-takeoff checklist

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2018
    Messages:
    438
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Jesse Saint
    Are you sure it’s RS232 data and not ARINC429 data? Go into the setup to RS232 setup with the gps on and see if you get a consistent green check by the rs232 input. If not, you have an intermittent (bad) rs232 wire.
     
  3. Creekrat

    Creekrat Pre-Flight

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2019
    Messages:
    37
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Creekrat
    That’s what it’s telling me. The message icon pops up on the G5 and when I go to messages it says no ra-232 data. I’ll check on it Monday and give you a call Jesse. Hopefully it’s not a wire but seeing as I installed it all I’m sure it’s not too terrible a swap


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  4. Creekrat

    Creekrat Pre-Flight

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2019
    Messages:
    37
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Creekrat
    So I was incorrect in my previous statement in that I initially had data and it would drop out. After looking it over I would never get a green check for the MapX data on the G5. I only thought I was getting data since it took it quite a while to give me the message. After looking over my harness drawings I had the 430 configured to send the MapX data on the wrong channel. Reconfigured and it’s working correctly now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk