"Interiors" in biplanes? Ever seen anything other than "nothing"?

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
My goal is to buy the biplane in my profile pic probably by next summer. Having ridden in it only once, I recall the interior - if one can call it that - is rather spartan. I.e. metal seat, interior of nothing but the inside of the tube fuselage and fabric, plywood floor. Now, nothing wrong at all with that, it's a biplane after all. And designed for a chute as your seat too.

But, I got to wondering. Have you ever seen any sort of "interior" in something like a modern biplane? I mean, say some panels with fabric to make it look a bit more inviting? I personally do not care a bit, but I can see the look on my first passengers - since it looks totally "unfinished" inside.

Just looking for ideas, opinions, and thoughts.

This is the only one I've found searching for such pics.
https://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/98189/98189_Interior_Web.jpg

The Petrel LSA amphib is a biplane with a very nice interior. Enclosed cockpit, side by side seating.

No, the open cockpit ships did not typically have any interior cover/paneling. Just the fuselage tubes and stringers plus a seat and simple instrument panel. Even the higher end Wacos were pretty simple inside. The cabin Wacos, on the other hand had much nicer/fancier finished interiors.

Now, the current production YMF-5s do have fully lined interiors.....and IFR instruments....and glass panels....and other crap that doesn't belong in a biplane....IMO.

The YMF, modern version, does have a very nice interior. May be why it is popular with ride hoppers who want the paying customers to be comfy. Really good support and parts availability probably has something to do with it though. Some restorations have been done with less than that but more than nothing. That is you don't see the inside of the fabric covering, but there aren't full panels on the interior either.

Fearless is correct!

That stuff is for show. Just adds weight, which is the enemy of lift, climb rate and useful load.

Staggerwings and Cabin Wacos had nice interiors.

Even many of the open cockpit Wacos had interior panels on the walls nod such. Many Starduster Toos had interiors fitted, though mine didn't. I've see a couple of Marquardt Chargers with nice interiors too.

The biggest issue is they typically add a fair amount of weight, which is the enemy of good performance. They are also a PITA to remove and install for inspections/repairs.

It gets wet in the rain, baked in the sun, adds weight to the plane, makes the already cramped space more cramped, and magically becomes completely invisible the moment the throttle advances. So what's the point?

All really good points. I didn't even consider the whole "out in the rain" thing, although I would have a snap/fabric cover and hope to keep it weather tight even when on the road. Maybe some snap-on removable seat covers/cushions though, since I don't plan to ride with a chute unless I do aerobatics (not in the near future for sure).

Even many of the open cockpit Wacos had interior panels on the walls nod such.
The new production YMF-5s, yes, but the original 1930 models, not so much. They had some front panels with 'glove compartments, but that was about it.

All really good points. I didn't even consider the whole "out in the rain" thing, although I would have a snap/fabric cover and hope to keep it weather tight even when on the road. Maybe some snap-on removable seat covers/cushions though, since I don't plan to ride with a chute unless I do aerobatics (not in the near future for sure).
Cockpit covers are definitely a required item for x-country overnights. I don't think the lack of finished interior is due to that however, as it is pretty easy to cover the cockpits. A lot of folks have added snaps for cockpit covers.

I think the biggest reason for the lack of interior is weight and access. It would be a pain in the arse to have to open and close side panels in some of these tight cockpits. It is a royal headache to install and remove the flight controls (stick and rudder pedals) in the front pit of my bird. You need a tiny person to climb in there.

My neighbor has a Waco which has a very nice interior. Of course, it's not open cockpit.

Most bipes are not cross country platforms, they are hamburger run planes or sport aerobatics in mind. Interiors cost money for not much benefit but more importantly they take valuable weight that is not needed. There are always some exceptions but for and large a fancy interior is lipstick on a pig.

The new production YMF-5s, yes, but the original 1930 models, not so much. They had some front panels with 'glove compartments, but that was about it.

I guess I'm not old enough to remember unrestored ones and some of the restorations I've seen had some interiors, which I guess were done as some later point. :D

I guess I'm not old enough to remember unrestored ones and some of the restorations I've seen had some interiors, which I guess were done as some later point. :D
I'm sure someone out there has done some customizing, but all the top, relatively accurate restorations (Rare Aircraft/Woods Brothers..etc) do not have any interior paneling.

Most my experience is from 70-80s. I recall looking at some of John Cournoyer's when visiting his farm field (Flying J) near Ellsinore, MO, but that was a long time ago. I could be confusing them with other types. I haven't spent much time around any in some time now. My dad and John were friends from the earliest days of AAA at Ottumwa. Dad was a Stinson guy and John was just starting to get into Wacos. We restored a couple of Stearmans for him and he bought an SR-6 my dad was restoring, before he completed it.

Looks interiorish to me:
DSCN1308.JPG

Will chug along at 130-140 knots or so. Not too shabby.

(Sorrell Hyperbipe)

1937 Waco ZGC-7 restored by my dad in 1981-82. It has V-77 FWF R-680 and cowling. I helped go get this plane and haul it home, but soon left for the school and didn't otherwise help with it.
WacoZGC.jpg

Sorry for picture quality. Cockpit.
WacoPanel.jpg

There was a "cheap" on Barnstormers the other day. Looked way under-priced compared to what I've seen. Anyone know anything about it and why it was <relatively> cheap?

http://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=search
If it is the one in Arizona that is for sale, I believe the reason for the low price is that it may need a recover. It looks nice in the photos, but from what I was reading on the Waco forum, the cover job was done something like 30+ years ago.

I find your initial premise and complaint somewhat odd. Sort of like complaining about a lack of ambiance in Taco Bell.

Wasn't really a complaint, more just an observation that I had never seen an interior in a biplane.

Back