Interior Parts with DIY Carbon Fiber Parts

maduro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maduro
I am thinking of making my own carbon fiber interior parts for my Arrow to replace the 50 year old potato-chip originals. The parts would be none critical parts such as instrument panel overlay and airconditioning duct. Would doing so in certified planes be against FAR/AIM rules?

Ask your mechanic. He who signs the books is the only one who matters.

Would doing so in certified planes be against FAR/AIM rules?
Not at all. You actually have several different routes to take with easiest being installing the new panels as an alteration under your mechanics signature.

One key item will be the flame resistance of the material you use. While not required for your type aircraft I'd recommend following the current Part 25 standard flame tests as some carbon fiber resins can be brutal when heated or exposed to flame.

Not at all. You actually have several different routes to take with easiest being installing the new panels as an alteration under your mechanics signature.

One key item will be the flame resistance of the material you use. While not required for your type aircraft I'd recommend following the current Part 25 standard flame tests as some carbon fiber resins can be brutal when heated or exposed to flame.

Great point. Will have to research the various options for the resins. Thanx.

Back