Interior Colors

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
Looking through for-sale listings, the interiors on so many light aircraft are horrible. Who thought a bright red, a burnt orange, or an electric blue interior was a good idea? And even on aircraft with replacement interiors, why did someone replace a garish interior with another one?

Just bizzarre. And I (tongue in cheek) suspect the awful colors are a primary cause of airsickness.

Just toss on this flight suit and roll with it.

outfitentire_sm.jpg

Looking through for-sale listings, the interiors on so many light aircraft are horrible. Who thought a bright red, a burnt orange, or an electric blue interior was a good idea? And even on aircraft with replacement interiors, why did someone replace a garish interior with another one?

Just bizzarre. And I (tongue in cheek) suspect the awful colors are a primary cause of airsickness.

Not just the interiors - the paint schemes and color selections on many aircraft leave much to be desired (IMHO) - but to each his own!

Dave

THANK YOU!!!

Probably designed by the same folks who brought us avocado green appliances and shag carpeting.

Most of these aircraft were probably built in the 60s, 70s and 80s when things like nasty olive drab green were hip and rad. I find the Cessnas and Pipers of the 90s and later to have relatively contemporary and conservative styling.

But, yes, I feel your pain, OP.

Most of these aircraft were probably built in the 60s, 70s and 80s when things like nasty olive drab green were hip and rad. I find the Cessnas and Pipers of the 90s and later to have relatively contemporary and conservative styling.

But, yes, I feel your pain, OP.

I put in flame red interior in my plane. It's a 50 year old toy, Not a hearse.

IMG_5263.JPG

For reference, here's a Corvette of the same vintage.

1963-chevy-corvette-interior-drivers-side.jpg

Would you put Gray 2012 Cadillac seats in that Corvette? Or even updated it with "modern" corvette seats and styling?

Heh that's different, though. First of all, red is awesome. It's my favorite color. My old BMW E30 was black with a cardinal red interior. It was glorious. Plus, your plane is from a time when that was cool. I've seen new BMWs with a cardinal red interior. Red is always cool. Nice interior, by the way.

But darn it, drab olive green is just gross. I don't want to sit in something that's going to allow a puddle of pea soup to blend in. Well, scratch that. I'll fly any plane. I'll just shrug the color off.

I heard a radio commercial yesterday for this strong spray on truck bed liner.

At the end of the commercial they said this, and it made me laugh out loud:

"Guys! The bed liner comes in the color that you want . . . the one your wife likes!"

Those might be removable cushions laying on top of the seats (at least I hope so.) Otherwise, the ocher vinyl and carpeting is pretty typical of that generation of Cessna aircraft.

You might be right about the cushions (now that you mention it) but OMG! Momma must be color-blind!

Maybe they made a deal with Pusher to get some left-over material.

Previously owned by the Adams family?

I don't think they were cushions, would you take them out before you took a picture if you were the seller?

I wouldn't have to take them out, because I wouldn't have put them there in the first place...:D

Previously owned by the Adams family?

I don't think they were cushions, would you take them out before you took a picture if you were the seller?

Not if they're concealing the rips in the upholstery!

Paul

When the cherokee was down for an overhaul, I decided to replace the original aluminum battery cables with copper (which had been sitting on the shelf for 7 years). In order to replace the cables, it's necessary to remove all left side interior panels. Well, if I'm going to do that, may as well remove the 42 yr old insulation that's disintegrated behind the panels. And if I'm going to do that, may as well replace with decent insulation. And if I'm going to do that, may as well have the shop remove 12 pounds of unused 42 yr old wiring. And if I'm going to do that....

It's nigh on to impossible to remove 42 yr old anything in an airplane without destroying it. Completely eviserated the interior (other than the headliner and carpet) and replaced everything with AirTex. As much as I would have liked something a bit more extravagant, I went with boring, bland beige. Family was in sales (real estate and cars) and resale is always #1 consideration. Whoever buys the cherokee down the line is welcome to redo the interior to their preference. But for resale - clean, undamaged, reasonable quality & boring is best.

When the cherokee was down for an overhaul, I decided to replace the original aluminum battery cables with copper (which had been sitting on the shelf for 7 years). In order to replace the cables, it's necessary to remove all left side interior panels. Well, if I'm going to do that, may as well remove the 42 yr old insulation that's disintegrated behind the panels. And if I'm going to do that, may as well replace with decent insulation. And if I'm going to do that, may as well have the shop remove 12 pounds of unused 42 yr old wiring. And if I'm going to do that....

It's nigh on to impossible to remove 42 yr old anything in an airplane without destroying it. Completely eviserated the interior (other than the headliner and carpet) and replaced everything with AirTex. As much as I would have liked something a bit more extravagant, I went with boring, bland beige. Family was in sales (real estate and cars) and resale is always #1 consideration. Whoever buys the cherokee down the line is welcome to redo the interior to their preference. But for resale - clean, undamaged, reasonable quality & boring is best.

Kinda like pulling a loose thread and ending up with a pile of wool instead of a sweater...:lol:

I put in flame red interior in my plane. It's a 50 year old toy, Not a hearse.

IMG_5263.JPG

For reference, here's a Corvette of the same vintage.

1963-chevy-corvette-interior-drivers-side.jpg

Would you put Gray 2012 Cadillac seats in that Corvette? Or even updated it with "modern" corvette seats and styling?

Beautiful! By the way I drive a 2011 BMW with a red interior. I ordered it that way. What was a good interior color 50 years ago, is still a good interior color. In my humble opinion.

Beautiful! By the way I drive a 2011 BMW with a red interior. I ordered it that way. What was a good interior color 50 years ago, is still a good interior color. In my humble opinion.

Red isn't a bad color, really. It just doesn't photograph very well (by amateur photographers, anyway). The red and white combo with the black panel, above, is actually pretty cool, and I bet the red isn't really as eye-squinting, in reality, as it is in the photo.

You know, after looking at and flying a bunch of Cherokees, checking out a pretty well maintained Arrow and spending some time cleaning out the club's 172... sigh. Yecch.

The club 172 had a new leather interior and new paint in 2003. The carpet is a speckled medium gray, but I found out when I pulled up the floor mats Velcro'd in place that they weren't that color originally. They were medium tan to match the seats. And every Piper I've been in has that "1960s car that spends most of its time closed up in the garage" smell to it, or worse. Some trainers just smell of sweat, AeroShell and desperation. Oddly the admittedly few Cessnas I've been in don't have that same musty smell. Maybe it's having more than one door, maybe they are just better ventilated, maybe I've just been lucky.

I've decided that if and when I buy one for myself, I'll look for either one that has a very new interior, or more likely one that's ratted out and cheap enough that I can justify gutting it and starting from scratch. The idea of a "project airplane" is looking more and more appealing to me. At least I'd end up with what I want, and something my wife would get in without complaining about the condition and the smell.

Back