Interior Cleaner

Bman.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bman.
I don't have time to fly today and the weather is bit soupy. I do have time to head to the hangar and put some TLC on the plane. What is a decent interior plastic cleaner that won't harm the plastic? I was going to stop by the auto shop and get a cleaner and just work on the interior a bit.

Suggestions? PA-28-181...white plastic is looking, well, yellowish with stains.
Thanks for input.

Benjamin

Same, but with the weather around here, a lot more work than flying.

I don't have time to fly today and the weather is bit soupy. I do have time to head to the hangar and put some TLC on the plane. What is a decent interior plastic cleaner that won't harm the plastic? I was going to stop by the auto shop and get a cleaner and just work on the interior a bit.

Suggestions? PA-28-181...white plastic is looking, well, yellowish with stains.
Thanks for input.

Benjamin

A good degreaser, dry off and paint with Rustoleum for plastic in the color of your choice.

Novus and Macguire's make good plastics cleaners. I use windex.

I think it's not possible to fix yellowed plastic without repainting it.

I took all the plastic trim off and used Comet cleanser. Great stuff. The repainted with Rustoleum.

You can also pick up a concentrated peroxide solution in the beauty supply store to do the same thing as the Retrobright. If it is yellowing like the TRS-80 in the Wikipedia link, that will work and is only a couple bucks a bottle.

If it’s just regular old dirt, I’ve used specific plastic and rubber cleaner from the auto parts store (maybe something 303?) and you can also use Clearview. It is labeled for cleaning plexiglass windscreen and plastic/vinyl. I’ve used the windshield cloth after I finished the windscreen and it’s damp with cleaner. Seemed to work well.

409 and a toothbrush worked well for me on original Cessna plastic and on Plane Plastic replacement pieces.

Back