Interior AL surface protection

And you kept the aluminum sheet panels? Should have simply sent them to Stich.

http://www.recovery-shop.com

Airtex did the seats. I was feeling masochistic, so I did the side panels to save a few bucks. Not worth it, I won't do that again.

We had just finished a paint job less than a year earlier. The bank balance wasn't there to pay for a job like Stitch does. Also, our plane is used as a bit of a work horse; young kids, Young Eagles, Angel Flights, carrying bikes and work gear, so we didn't want something ultra-plush.

Last edited:
Good article on corosion the latest Light Plane Maintenance magazine.

Last edited:
Airtex did the seats. I was feeling masochistic, so I did the side panels to save a few bucks. Not worth it, I won't do that again.

We had just finished a paint job less than a year earlier. The bank balance wasn't there to pay for a job like Stitch does. Also, our plane is used as a bit of a work horse; young kids, Young Eagles, Angel Flights, carrying bikes and work gear, so we didn't want something ultra-plush.

Nothing as durable as well done wool and leather.

Nothing as durable as well done wool and leather.

You missed the part about having just dropped major dime on a paint job/refurb. Not to mention the $6K of work required during annual (it was our first annual after purchase, so not entirely surprising). The Airtex vinyl/cloth materials have held up very well.

I did the Alodine treatment to the interior panels and floor of the 150. I took my time, taped the top sides of the lap joints. I am happy with the result. After allowing it to dry thoroughly, I sprayed a light coat of Zinc Oxide to the interior. I cleaned the bilge, cables and everything every place I could find dirt. It looks GREAT !! Ready to finish up and install the new carpet and such. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 5977J Rear Left Panel.jpg
    5977J Rear Left Panel.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 5977J Cabin Flr Fwd 2.jpg
    5977J Cabin Flr Fwd 2.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 25
  • 5977J Zinc Roof.jpg
    5977J Zinc Roof.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I did the Alodine treatment to the interior panels and floor of the 150. I took my time, taped the top sides of the lap joints. I am happy with the result. After allowing it to dry thoroughly, I sprayed a light coat of Zinc Oxide to the interior. I cleaned the bilge, cables and everything every place I could find dirt. It looks GREAT !! Ready to finish up and install the new carpet and such. Thanks for the help.

It looks great. I'm impressed you ignored two pages of advice and did it the way you wanted to.

:rofl:

...After allowing it to dry thoroughly...

Hopefully you are talking about the water rinse and not the Alodine solution, but then of course you'd know - if you read the instructions that come with it - that treatment time is 2 to 5 minutes and Alodine must not be allowed to dry on the aluminum surface.

I really hate this thread because.....I'm jealous and want another 150.

:lol:

It looks great. I'm impressed you ignored two pages of advice and did it the way you wanted to.

:rofl:

I did read the advice :) as well as copious amounts of additional reading and research. I was also contacted by someone that has done this previously which was a big help. I just had to get comfortable with the process. Afterwards my A&P said it looked great and a few people told me that I increased the value of my plane. I feel pretty good that it should last a while and that was my main goal.

I ended up doing the lower door panels with Alodine and Zinc as well. The interior is very near reassembly.

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.

Back