Interfacing aviation headset with non-aviation radios

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I have a Motorola MU350 FRS/GMRS radio. It has Bluetooth. People seem to have good luck pairing it to motorcycle helmet-mounted Bluetooth headsets. I tried to pair it with my Pilot Blulink and ran out of luck. It doesn’t seem to pass sound either direction for me.

So now I’m wondering if there’s another way to tie this, or another, non-aviation radio into my headset or audio panel. It could be useful for air-to-ground communication. But mostly it’s my stubborn nature: “I spent 30 seconds thinking this was a good idea, now I don’t care if it’s a good idea, I just want to get it to work.”

May GMRS radios be used while airborne?
edit: per 95.2707, doesn't look like it.
CFR 95.2707 says that MURS operation is not authorized aboard aircraft in flight, notwithstanding 95.307. 95.307(b) allows personal radio station operation in flight over the USA with permission of the captain. FRS is governed by part 95 subpart B, GMRS by part 95 subpart E, and MURS by part 95 subpart J. I can't find an equivalent section to 95.2707 in the FRS or GMRS subparts. My take is that, of these three types of personal radio services, only MURS is prohibited in the air.

I've had good luck paring audio sources with Bose A20's.
I'll have to borrow an A20 and check it out. Thanks for the tip.

You’re trying to pair two devices that aren’t the headset end of the Bluetooth link together.

It’s like trying to pair two headsets to each other. Won’t work because there’s no point to that.

You’re trying to pair two devices that aren’t the headset end of the Bluetooth link together.

It’s like trying to pair two headsets to each other. Won’t work because there’s no point to that.
Handheld radio should pair to a headset. Pilot BluLink should, to a Bluetooth device, appear as a headset. That’s how my phone sees it. I did test with the Bose A20 and it worked, so apparently the BluLink is just not cooperating. I may try again and play with the DIP switches in it to see if there’s a ducking/fading setting at work.

I’ve been pairing my DC Pro X’s to my work iPad to talk to dispatch, and it works great. We don’t have any verbiage in our manuals about Bluetooth, so I can only do this when flying with non-Air Force pilots. :p :p

Handheld radio should pair to a headset. Pilot BluLink should, to a Bluetooth device, appear as a headset. That’s how my phone sees it. I did test with the Bose A20 and it worked, so apparently the BluLink is just not cooperating. I may try again and play with the DIP switches in it to see if there’s a ducking/fading setting at work.

I thought it was a panel mount thingy. Disregard.

Back