Interface stratux with Appareo ADSB-OUT???

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Anybody gotten rid of the "high gain antennae" from the Stratux and interfaced it with the Appareo device?

Thanks,

Jim

I'd think 2 or 3 times about connecting any home brew avionics to certified avionics.

Just no worth the risk given Used Startus 2's are dropping like crazy in price. They are routinely selling for $650 to $700 with low time use, with all the ads-b panel upgrades. I just sold my Stratus 2+ to the second guy I offered it to; only because the first guy just bought one already.

You will have issues with connecting any non Stratus ADS-B receiver with the Stratus ESG as the own-ship broadcasts are not included on the antenna feed to the portable. The Stratus devices and ForeFlight have additional hardware and software to overcome this and obtain the own-ship data via a different means. Own-ship data is crucial to determining relative height of targets and to avoid ghosts. So my guess is that weather would work, but traffic would have major issues. I would not recommend you do it and if you did, I would be surprised if you got any support from Appareo or ForeFlight.

You will have issues with connecting any non Stratus ADS-B receiver with the Stratus ESG as the own-ship broadcasts are not included on the antenna feed to the portable. The Stratus devices and ForeFlight have additional hardware and software to overcome this and obtain the own-ship data via a different means. Own-ship data is crucial to determining relative height of targets and to avoid ghosts. So my guess is that weather would work, but traffic would have major issues. I would not recommend you do it and if you did, I would be surprised if you got any support from Appareo or ForeFlight.
Well, since I'm an Appareo dealer, I doubt that I'd get major issues. However, since I'm specializing in experimental aircraft, I know dam good and well they will ask the question and I wanted to know if anybody had done it. I can and will advise them that they stand the chance of voiding the warranty, but I'll also give them the best advice I have about how others have done it.

Jim

The stratux authors and contributors hang out in their Slack channel nearly all day, every day.

They're very accessible if one doesn't mind using chat as a communication tool.

Stratuxadsb.slack.com

Back