Interesting transition

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
I know a guy who owns an Ercoupe. As far as I know, it's the only airplane he's ever flown.
He recently purchased an AA1. He told me that he want's to gain experience with rudder peddals,
and the Yankee, looked to be a decent airplane to do that in.
While the Yankee is a fine little airplane, and a joy to fly, it will be interesting to see him on his first trip out. I'm afraid that one of two things will happen. Either his Ercoupe will be neglected while his yankee gets plenty of exersize, or he won't like the yankee.

Something tells me he'll like the climb rate....Ercoupes are impossibly slow.

But be ready for some nasty side load on landing.

You have to fly the Yankee onto the runway ,during landings. Need to learn a different technique,with the Yankee compared to an recouped.

I think he'll enjoy the AA1. I know of a guy that has an Ercoupe, neat airplane, but I cant imagine flying something without rudder pedals. How do you counteract the torque in an Ercoupe?

I think he'll figure it out. But the Yankee likes to cross the fence at ~90 mph (+/-) and is pretty slick compared to the 'coupe.
Not quite as docile, and quite under powered. But I believe he'll have fun in it, once he get's used to it.
I allways thought the climb rate on the Yankee was somewhat anemic, even when solo and half tanks.

The Yankee rolls real well. I heard. Also a ground loving pig-sickle.

The Yankee rolls real well. I heard. Also a ground loving pig-sickle.

I can confirm that. Flew one down near sea level and it was a fast little non-climbing machine that had very effective ailerons.

Back