Interesting Support Experience (Vonage)

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
About a week ago, I decided to switch my office phone system over to Vonage to cut costs. I should be saving about 70 percent using Vonage compared to my previous Verizon landline telephone bills.

I considered other companies (mainly Packet8), but decided that for my simple needs (basically, the phone should ring when someone calls me), Vonage was a better fit. Packet8 offers some very advanced features, but I don't need them. And Vonage's up-front costs are much lower, they use an ordinary analog phone, and they throw in a free fax line. Both companies also forward automatically to a fallback number in case the Internet fails (not uncommon with Time-Warner), which was very important.

Anyway, the package with the Vonage adaptor arrived three days before it was promised, which was a good start. It worked out of the box with no configuration -- which also was good.

Except for the fax line.

I tried for the better part of two days, trying four different modems, every fax program I knew of, and a "real" fax machine to get it working, but the best I got were a few partial pages. Not a single transmission completed successfully, despite all my tweaking (and the occasional cuss word).

So finally I called Vonage Support, who answered surprisingly quickly considering it was a weekend evening, and got connected to "Mack" in India. I explained the situation and what I'd tried, so Mack skipped all those steps (thankfully) and got down to troubleshooting, interspersed with discussion about the recent bombings in India, politics, and so forth.

After attempting to send a few faxes back and forth using the fax machine, Mack decided to increase the RTP packet size from 0.10 to 0.30 (kind of counterintuitive, I know), after which the fax worked, using the fax machine.

I thanked Mack for his help and told him I would try setting it up with the faxmodem again, and he said he'd call back a little later to see how it worked and to offer additional help if needed. And sure enough, about 15 minutes later, Mack called back. I told him I'd gotten the faxmodem itself working and was just deciding which fax software I liked better, and thanked him again for his help.

About 20 minutes later, Mack called me again to check on my progress and offer help configuring the software, if needed. I told him I was all done, the software had been installed and tested, and everything was working fine. He told me he'd call again tomorrow to make sure everything was still working, and would monitor my account for a few weeks.

I gotta tell ya, I don't remember the last time I talked to a tech support guy who cared as much as this guy seemed to. Even the best tend to breathe a sigh of relief and get the caller off the phone ASAP once the problem's solved. This guy called back twice within an hour or so -- after the problem was solved.

If this caliber of support is typical of Vonage, then I think I made a good choice. In any case, it was a nice surprise to talk to someone who not only was able to solve the problem, but seemed to actually care about his job.

-Rich

That's dang rare for any tech support these days. I have had Vonage for the last five years. It's neat I can take my router any place I want and keep that one number which is still the same number handed to me by Bell South in 2003 back in Georgia. I did have a second fax line but now use only the primary number for outgoing faxes. Since I pretty much live by the cell phone, I backed the Vonage line down to basic service for less than ten bucks a month for 500 minutes. I'll never touch that for a home phone.

I've had good success and experience with Vonage as well... talked to their customer service / tech support at least twice and it went as you described. Isn't that great?!?!

Now this is the sort of advertising that money can't buy! If it worked with my security system, I'd be on them in a minute!

Now this is the sort of advertising that money can't buy! If it worked with my security system, I'd be on them in a minute!

A friend tried Vonage for a while and didn't like the significant audio delays in the system, has that been eliminated yet?

A friend tried Vonage for a while and didn't like the significant audio delays in the system, has that been eliminated yet?
Vonage, working correctly, has little delay. That said your typical home router isn't going to guarantee quality of service for your VOIP traffic, nor will your ISP, nor will the upstream providers.

If you want to blast VOIP over the internet you really need to get a trunk from your upstream carrier that can guarantee quality of service all the way to the PSTN.

You really can't get the above as a home user so it is mostly just a matter of luck. Although some of the "phone" solutions offered by your internet service provider may have some better quality guarantees. The key to VOIP working correctly is QoS for the voip traffic all the way to the PSTN. The shorter the route the better.

I haven't noticed any, but it's only been two days. I have the "quality" slider in the middle position (50 K/sec), and it sounds fine. I'm using the Vonage adapter upstream of the router at Mack's suggestion. It doesn't seem to eat any more bandwidth than whatever I set the slider at. During a call, my bandwidth drops about 50 - 60 K in each direction; but I usually get 12M / 800K on my connection, so the loss is trivial.

In any case, this service is going to cost me a little under $50.00 a month for the main line, a virtual line in another area code I service, and the fax line. That's significantly less than I was paying before, so I'll accept less than crystal clarity. I'll also be able to close my eFax account and save another 20 bucks a month. Every little bit helps these days.

I got the first new client call on the new number today. She found me on the Web, so she called the local number directly. So many small companies use 800 numbers today (and so many consumers have unlimited calling plans) that I wonder if the 800 numbers have lost some of their marketing advantage. So I've replaced the 800 number with the two local numbers on the site to see if it affects sales.

Oh, by the way, Mack called back today to follow up, as he promised. Very impressive in my book.

-Rich

I've never had ANY delay, and I have it connected behind a DLINK wireless router to a cable modem. Quality of the calls is better than the POTS I had before--there is a deeper, richer quality to the calls, and I hear that not just from my side of the call but the caller as well.

We've been on Vonage for several years now and have had no problems.

My mother in law used to complain about the echo on the line. Turns out it wasn't Vonage - it was cheap cordless phones.

I've had Vonage for 3 years and have only had 1 issue. One evening, for some reason, the whole system was not recognizing dial tone prompts after the call was connected - which made getting into voicemail impossible.

The only other thing with Vonage - and not sure they changed it, was that when I would call people it would display my number, but instead of my name it would say "Vonage Indust." and so people would think I was a telemarketer calling, and I'd have to leave a message/voicemail. I have had zero quality issues, no dropped calls, nothing that would indicate I was using a non standard phone line.

And my setup at home is:
Incoming Cable ==> Cable Modem ==> Netgear Wireless ==> Vonage Router

No issues.

Oh - I did have one issue with Vonage and TiVo - it could never make a direct phone call. Its like the faxmodem problem

But that's ok, i use the network for TiVo now.

I am seriously thinking about ditching my AT&T POTS service, and replacing w/ Vonage. It looks to me like there are real savings to be had, and since we each have mobile phones, it is not as if we are going to be out of touch!

Pros/cons?

The only other thing with Vonage - and not sure they changed it, was that when I would call people it would display my number, but instead of my name it would say "Vonage Indust." and so people would think I was a telemarketer calling, and I'd have to leave a message/voicemail.

Caller ID now shows your name (if you don't have it blocked.

Oh - I did have one issue with Vonage and TiVo - it could never make a direct phone call. Its like the faxmodem problem

But that's ok, i use the network for TiVo now.

I use mine with Dish, and have had no problems with my DVR connecting with Dish for updates, etc.

I am seriously thinking about ditching my AT&T POTS service, and replacing w/ Vonage. It looks to me like there are real savings to be had, and since we each have mobile phones, it is not as if we are going to be out of touch!

Pros/cons?

I'm sure Googling pros/cons of Vonage will come up with a better list than I could, Spike. Do you have a home alarm system that needs dial-up for monitoring? If so, Vonage won't work well with you unless you have your alarm company change to use a wireless or cellular feed. That's about the only Con I can think of.

You can't keep the POTS voltage on the lines in your house while using Vonage; but that's an easy fix. Disconnect the leads at the service entry, and then your house lines aren't getting voltage from the local carrier. Instead of plugging a PHONE into your Vonage box, you plug a phone extension cord from the Vonage box to your phone wall outlet... and then Vonage powers all the jacks in the house. Very simple.

[EDIT]: since the POTS voltage can damage your Vonage box, I taped off the leads in my service entry and tagged them with a note that says "Vonage in use, do not reconnect", both for my poor memory, and so a service tech in the neighborhood wouldn't try to "help me". :)

Do you have a home alarm system that needs dial-up for monitoring? If so, Vonage won't work well with you unless you have your alarm company change to use a wireless or cellular feed.
Unfortunately, that's my situation, and the alarm company says that they don't offer anything but POTS monitoring.:cryin:

I would disconnect the POTS from the phone lines at the NID, and the DSL for U-Verse comes via a separate homerun, so that should not be a problem.

So, what sort of "best deal" should I expect from Vonage?

I would disconnect the POTS from the phone lines at the NID, and the DSL for U-Verse comes via a separate homerun, so that should not be a problem.

They have different deals for residential v. business, timed v. unlimited, etc. I'll be paying a tad under $50.00 a month for a 516 number, a 914 number that rings on the same line, and a dedicated fax number. The deal includes 1,500 outgoing minutes on the voice and 500 on the fax. Since I don't make many outgoing calls (and send even fewer faxes), that should be plenty. Overage costs are something like 3.9 cents a minute.

I was going to cancel my POTS altogether (along with the DSL, which was my backup connection); but I decided to leave the POTS line in place for now with the cheapest possible service ($13.95 a month with a conversion from business to bare-bones residential service), just in case. So if I ever need it, it's there; and I can just call them and upgrade the service if I want to use it for business again.

I did cancel the DSL, though. It was my secondary (backup) connection, and I haven't used it in months; and because I'm about 17,600 feet from the DSLAM, the DSL was never all that stable to begin with. I have an EVDO router that's almost as fast as the DSL that I can use as a backup connection if I absolutely must get online during a Time-Warner outage.

Because I'm leaving the POTS line in place, I can't use the same wiring (the line voltage could damage the Vonage adapter). But it's no big deal: I bought a corded / cordless AT&T phone and ran the wire from the adapter to the corded base at my desk, and I can use the cordless handset to move around.

My configuration is:

Cable Router => Vonage Adapter => Router => Switch => LAN.

It works fine this way; unlike another VOIP company I once used (the beloved but now-defunct Sunrocket), the Vonage adapter doesn't hog bandwidth. Sunrocket's "Gizmo" consumed as much as 75 percent of the available bandwidth if installed upstream of the router, and the internal throttling in the Gizmo didn't work; so I ran Sunrocket's adapter behind a QOS router.

Vonage's adapter, on the other hand, seems quite content with the bandwidth the user specifies, plus a smidgen. I have no meaningful loss of available bandwidth during calls, and no loss of phone quality during big uploads / downloads. In fact, I resumed a paused 38 GB backup (I'm testing Carbonite's online backup service) ever since right after Mack in India got the fax line working, and I've had no problems at all.

My only concern, because I do a lot of uploading and downloading (all legal: mainly Linux ISO images and other FOSS), is that the poor Vonage adapter may get tired and retire prematurely. I'm considering buying another one as a backup once I'm sure I'm fully satisfied with the service.

But then again, it's also easy enough to forward the calls to the cell in that event (that's the default failback for network outages, anyway), so it really wouldn't be all that big a deal to wait a day or two for a new adapter to be shipped if needed.

All in all, though, the first few days have been excellent. If it continues like this for a few months, I'll be able to give Vonage a hearty endorsement.

-Rich

You can get VOIP with U-Verse. But you might think it it's as much POS. :dunno:

I am very, very glad to keep POTS. I may add a second line for work.

Keep in mind what worked on 9/11. It wasn't the fancy stuff. The cell towers that were still up were overloaded.

Last edited:
You can get VOIP with U-Verse. But you might think it it's as much POS. :dunno:

I am very, very glad to keep POTS. I may add a second line for work.

Keep in mind what worked on 9/11. It wasn't the fancy stuff. The cell towers that were still up were overloaded.
And keep in mind what'll work in the event of a widespread power outage.

Spike, mine's running me $31.77 / month, all taxes and fees included. They transferred my existing number, set up the 911 routing for it, all that stuff... you can talk them into giving you the hardware, too. I could save more if I paid annually--if you have the budget for a once/year lump sum, that's the way to go.

I've been using Vonage since 2004 and the only time I've had a problem is a short time that I had it on a DSL line. Other than that short week or so, the call quality has been excellent (can't tell any difference from my old ATT line). I left the default settings.

Being able to keep your number regardless of where you move has been a real selling point for me. I have a local Austin number which I'd have to pay extra for if I were using the local phone company since I'm outside the Austin metro area. Not to mention my phone bill is a LOT cheaper with Vonage. Mom tends to like the virtual number. She hates using her cell phone to call me from DFW, and having a local number saves her some long distance.

Has anyone played with some of the upcoming features on their Alpha site? Still a few bugs (understandable since it's only in alpha), but I like some of the features. There's a fax from your PC feature that I wish they had back when I first got the service. I'm curious if the price will increase once they features go live.

And keep in mind what'll work in the event of a widespread power outage.

Yeah. I was thinking I need to remember to dig out and plug in a non-powered phone, but I do have one in the bedroom. I'll plug in a few more.

Back