Interesting Runway at Courchevel

also useful when they hold the annual ski jumping contest

EH

Let'sgoflying! said:
Down. Stopped. After landing checklist. Now, full power to taxi in.

I'm thinking more like: Down. Maintain power to insure runout to the end. Stop. Parking brake set. After landing checklist. Shutdown. Tiedown.

1754ft runway. The first 1410ft gains 213ft. Most of that is a 18.5% grade. To give you an idea what that really is: The Cog Railway going from Manitou Springs to the top of Pikes Peak has grades up to IIRC 25% and the scare unsuspecting tourist to death road is 9% average.

Overruns shouldn't be a problem..at least one direction anyway.
I wonder if they have a wench for the people who don't make it to the top.

If I ever make it to EU, I'm going to find a way somehow to put that airport in my logbook one way or another.

Here's the visual approach for the airport:

Awesome! My niece and I just decided we have to go there.

One day.

Terry

Wow. Not only beautiful, but awe inspiring. Thanks for sharing this with us!

"You want me to land where?" :hairraise:

Last edited:
Twas written:

> I wonder if they have a wench for the people
> who don't make it to the top.

More likely a wench for those who do. ;)
After all, this is in France!

- Richard
"Ah, whence that wince, my wench, quoth I?" (W. Kelley)

T Bone said:

"Ok. No problem. This is going to be fun!!" :goofy:

I bet it feels like you're on a catapult when you roll off the ramp at full power.

Frank that 'procedure' is hilarious!

("Pourquoi make things simple for them? Criss-cross the chart with a bon selectione of lines seemingly of no apparent usefulness!")

Let'sgoflying! said:
Frank that 'procedure' is hilarious!

("Pourquoi make things simple for them? Criss-cross the chart with a bon selectione of lines seemingly of no apparent usefulness!")

Granted a sensible stable approach is mandatory however I thought the procedure was overkill when I found it. Much easier to just find the airport, make sure no one is going to be coming the opposite direction and make a long straight in and land while climbing.

Go here and enjoy:
http://www.higher.flyer.co.uk/html/lflj.html

Looks like great fun to me. I'd annoy the tower all day long doing takeoff and landings there.

That was a neat report Frank, imagine flying the pattern Below part of the runway!

Bruce, are the pics uploaded yours, or? I ask because I'd like to "borrow" them and post on another site or two. I didn't see them anywhere I looked on the official site you linked....

The pictures aren't mine. I received them from a friend who obviously found them somewhere in cyberspace. I have no idea about their origin.

T Bone said:
Wow. Not only beautiful, but awe inspiring. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Believe it or not, landing on steep grades really isn't much different from landing on flat. You're down runway perspective lines when on final still look the same, and you keep your approach angle with the plane of the runway nearly the same as well, you just do it carrying more power. The first time you circle and look at a hillside strip you think "What the.... am I gonna do" but once you start flying it you realize it's not bad, plus you need a lot less runway. Let gravity be your friend.:yes:

Henning said:
Believe it or not, landing on steep grades really isn't much different from landing on flat. You're down runway perspective lines when on final still look the same, and you keep your approach angle with the plane of the runway nearly the same as well, you just do it carrying more power. The first time you circle and look at a hillside strip you think "What the.... am I gonna do" but once you start flying it you realize it's not bad, plus you need a lot less runway. Let gravity be your friend.:yes:

Actaully, I was going for a bit of humor. It really does look like fun!

Back