Interesting read on why French kids don't have ADHD

They have socialized medicine, they have the government pay for all that holistic intervention and therapy. Not saying that's the wrong approach but over here we're pretty entrenched with the "fix it with a pill" philosophy. Interesting in how far that author goes to be politically correct - judicious use of spanking is found to help but she personally does not approve.

Well, I give the French credit for their approach. But I think they missed the target. The reason French kids don't have as much ADHD is because they drink wine.

No, they don't, at least not at that young an age.

This is what happens when your policy makers and insurance companies aren't beholden to pharmaceutical companies. There is a lot more money in "a pill a day for life" than in a 20 hours of family counselling.

Sure they do. Besides, it was said partly with tongue-in-cheek.

This is what happens when your policy makers and insurance companies aren't beholden to pharmaceutical companies. There is a lot more money in "a pill a day for life" than in a 20 hours of family counselling.
And it's a lot easier for a lazy teacher to suggest drugging a kid than it is to spend the time with the kid or the parents to see through to the problem. I know parents that were devastated when their school and teacher demanded their kid be drugged.

Oh yes they do, even at McDonalds they can get wine or beer if they want and at the dinner table at home it is common for children at any age to have a glass.

Oh yes they do, even at McDonalds they can get wine or beer if they want and at the dinner table at home it is common for children at any age to have a glass.

I remember being in Germany (West Berlin, I think) back in the 80s and seeing a kid (probably 6-7 years old) walking down the street with a pack of cigarettes.

There is no lower age limit for being served alcohol in Wisconsin as long as you are with a parent. Strong German influence in that state.

I know parents that were devastated when their school and teacher demanded their kid be drugged.

Why would an intelligent parent be devastated by the opinion of a non-medical professional? Concerned, yes, pi$$ed, quite possibly if warranted, but until an appropriate medical professional made that determination, I don't think devastated would cross my mind as an appropriate reaction.

Why would an intelligent parent be devastated by the opinion of a non-medical professional? Concerned, yes, pi$$ed, quite possibly if warranted, but until an appropriate medical professional made that determination, I don't think devastated would cross my mind as an appropriate reaction.

You assume that the parents are "intelligent". It is their fault the kid has a behavior problem in the first place. (well, a lot of it anyway, some kids are just wild). And if the teacher andthe school demands (yes, they do DEMAND) it, it usually happens or the kid is expelled.

For some reason, people think teachers are smarter than the kids they teach. That's not always true.

And if the teacher andthe school demands (yes, they do DEMAND) it, it usually happens or the kid is expelled.

The fun would begin when you send a complaint for unlicensed practice of medicine to the state regulatory board.

The fun would begin when you send a complaint for unlicensed practice of medicine to the state regulatory board.

That's another problem. Perhaps some of the doctors on this board can explain why so many othe doctors are so quick to prescribe those drugs on the basis of a teacher's request.

it's a lot easier for a lazy teacher to suggest drugging a kid than it is to spend the time with the kid or the parents to see through to the problem.

Easier for some 'pusher' docs*, too. I've met more than one who's built an entire practice around and enriched themselves mightily with a quick-draw on the script pad.

*not a blanket statement of the entire profession.

That's another problem. Perhaps some of the doctors on this board can explain why so many othe doctors are so quick to prescribe those drugs on the basis of a teacher's request.

Now that pharmaceutical companies can advertise on prime time TV it probably makes it even worse. "Hey doc can I get a script for some xxxxx".

Now that pharmaceutical companies can advertise on prime time TV it probably makes it even worse. "Hey doc can I get a script for some xxxxx".
I can count the number of times patients have requested a name brand drug in the last 10 years on the fingers of one hand. I don't think those commercials work very well. They may be designed for physicians more than patients.

And it's a lot easier for a lazy teacher to suggest drugging a kid than it is to spend the time with the kid or the parents to see through to the problem. I know parents that were devastated when their school and teacher demanded their kid be drugged.

And I know teachers who say there's no such thing as ADHD...it's just lazy parenting. Easier to drug your kid into submission than teach them discipline and good behavior.

So there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back