Interesting radar solution

smigaldi said:
Article really did not say what it is or how's it work. Any ideas??
I was curious too so I did some looking. As I understand it the new ground stations determine the aircraft postion by comparing the time the transponder signal was received.

Here is site that explains it much better than I can.

Multilateration’s Alpine Leap Forward

"The reason multilateration was not viable prior to the 21st century is that the system relies on precise timing. Small, non-rotating ground sensors located on and around the airport emit signals at slightly different times, and from those differences a target's spatial location is computed. The required precision in timing hasn't been available until recent years.

Now that it is, multilateration systems can triangulate on the basis of time differences of (signal) arrival (TDOA). In addition to locating an asset in two-dimensional space, the technology can tag target returns with their identities and encode details such as altitude. Multilateration ground sensors monitor returns from airborne secondary surveillance radar (SSR) transponders, including Modes A, C and S types transmitting at 1090 MHz, and military identification friend/foe (IFF) emitters. In addition, they can track automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B ) and traffic alert collision avoidance system (TCAS) transponders. Equipping ground vehicles with transponders, which can be simplified versions of those on aircraft, enable these to be tracked, too."

Back