Interesting questions: ILS or LOC/DME RWY 32 KBKF

Item D applies to your military fast movers. They can and do routinely fly faster than those limits.

Item D applies when the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in items A, B, or C, military or civil.

They can fly slower than 250 kts safely.

http://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/END-Archive/afi11-2f-16v3.pdf

I think they must be getting some kind of waiver from Denver TRACON. They are probably also kept low to stay out of the DIA traffic flow. Still I've wondered why they are allowed to fly so fast in airspace that is used by many different types and speeds of airplane, not all of them IFR.

ATC cannot provide such waivers. I believe the F-16 is on a standing waiver issued by USAF headquarters.

No, ATC can't waive the 250 knot limit ofFAR 91.117(a), but they can authorize speeds greater than the 200 knot limit of 91.117(b).

True. But, the issue was about F-16s going greater than 250 below 10,000. As I recall, from a long time ago, a then-F-16 pilot told me they were on a blanket USAF waiver to do as high as 300 KIAS below 10,000. He gave me the reason but it escapes me now.

We routinely operated the 747 at 290 KIAS on departure when at very heavy weights. Company policy required us to advise ATC.

There is no published procedure turn which would make things a bit interesting if you were coming from the north. So you'd have to pass CHRES and then work your way back onto the LOC somehow. Best to just do this with vectors to final since you need the radar monitoring for the missed procedure anyways.

Go back and read the Denver Terminal/Sectional as suggested by Nate. You're not going to be coming in from the North. And if in the unlikely situation that you are on fire, and coming in from the North, you're not going to land at BKF, there's another airport just north which is much more practical.

Just looked this up on airnav
"OUTLAW: 149.1 308.1 32.5"

way too kewl!

They can fly slower than 250 kts safely.

http://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/END-Archive/afi11-2f-16v3.pdf

I think they must be getting some kind of waiver from Denver TRACON. They are probably also kept low to stay out of the DIA traffic flow. Still I've wondered why they are allowed to fly so fast in airspace that is used by many different types and speeds of airplane, not all of them IFR.

I've never seen any of the Buckley traffic NOT come in from the SE (the Sandbox). Since they're required to land on 32, most of the time they're out of the way of the DIA traffic and us FLIB traffic. BKF traffic is usually higher in Class B and the rest of us are below Class B when BKF is active.

I keep one radio on BKF tower any time I'm near BKF and heading south.

I gotta admit, I don't even know which official FAA pub this would be in.

However, I found the following "formula" on another forum:

Up to channel 59 you have to add 1063.
From channes 70 on you have to add 1053.

So, in this case, 1063+33 = 1096, so we'd tune 109.6 to pick it up. Gonna have to remember that little trick somehow.

The localizer for BKF is listed as 109.7

I've never seen any of the Buckley traffic NOT come in from the SE (the Sandbox). Since they're required to land on 32, most of the time they're out of the way of the DIA traffic and us FLIB traffic. BKF traffic is usually higher in Class B and the rest of us are below Class B when BKF is active.

I keep one radio on BKF tower any time I'm near BKF and heading south.
Dunno, but they don't look too high when they fly over my house, certainly no higher than the business jets that fly over my house at 8,000-9,000 feet (just in or below Class B). They are also lot faster.

Go back and read the Denver Terminal/Sectional as suggested by Nate. You're not going to be coming in from the North. And if in the unlikely situation that you are on fire, and coming in from the North, you're not going to land at BKF, there's another airport just north which is much more practical.

Just looked this up on airnav
"OUTLAW: 149.1 308.1 32.5"

way too kewl!

Wasn't me that suggested it, but yeah... north of BKF is DEN and not much arrives from that direction...

Good luck tuning 149.1 on your average Nav/Comm! ;) (Good info for scanner buffs though.)

Item D applies when the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in items A, B, or C, military or civil.

If I remember correctly, in the B1B, we were limited to 300knts below 10,000MSL on arrivals, but we departed at 360kias with full AB. Our min speed without flaps/slats was 240kias.

Our low level runs in IR routes were to remain below Mach. Our training speed to maintain timing separation in the route was 540K GS.

The approved speeds and limitations are in the back of FAA Order 8110.65.

Back