Interesting Proposition

The purchase price of the plane is often the cheap part of ownership.

The purchase price of the plane is often the cheap part of ownership.
There's:

Cheap to buy, cheap to own
Cheap to buy, Expensive to own
Expensive to buy, cheap to own
Expensive to buy, expensive to own

On a side note, your 182 is realistically 45K? I have never bought a plane because I thought it would be too expensive, you may have just changed my mind!

What he said. One can easily get a decent starter plane for 30K or less. I've seen solid Cherokee 140s go for less than 20K, recently.

My $0.02, As someone else said look at it like you were a broker and take the twin for immediate resale. Research what it might sell for and weigh that against what your 182 is worth, and also weigh it against what you really want which I think is s 205/206. If you think you can sell it for enough to help you get what you want then go for it. Once you get it and fly it you might change your mind and decide to keep it or follow through with selling to finance your dream plane.

To be fair, he's probably right when it comes to low priced twins.

I don't disagree.

I was implying "always" might be a good substitute for "often", when it comes to airplane's. :D

My $0.02, As someone else said look at it like you were a broker and take the twin for immediate resale. Research what it might sell for and weigh that against what your 182 is worth, and also weigh it against what you really want which I think is s 205/206. If you think you can sell it for enough to help you get what you want then go for it. Once you get it and fly it you might change your mind and decide to keep it or follow through with selling to finance your dream plane.

That's not a bad idea. I really wasn't thinking of the immediate resale aspect until someone mentioned it earlier. Hmm. Man, I'm really not very good at valuating aircraft. I could probably get real close on a 182 since I know my way around them, but I'm a little light on mix master knowledge. If I get some more details, could you guys help me figure it out???

I don't disagree.

I was implying "always" might be a good substitute for "often", when it comes to airplane's. :D

Roger. I obviously didn't catch your drift there. My bad.

P.S. I'm not calling you Roger. It's the other kind of Roger.

It might be worth a couple hundred bucks to have a professional appraiser to value both of them for you, of course you need to know how much a 205 would cost also

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It might be worth a couple hundred bucks to have a professional appraiser to value both of them for you, of course you need to know how much a 205 would cost also

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Lol, or just look on the market

Are there enough 336/337 aircraft on the market to get a good valuation? There is also the VREF ap on AOPA's website if it is still available.

Lol, or just look on the market

Are there enough 336/337 aircraft on the market to get a good valuation? There is also the VREF ap on AOPA's website if it is still available.

There are several for sale on the web. Looking at Controller and Trade-a-plane, it looks like similar 337s are priced in the 55K-75K range. Some nicer ones and pressurized ones are higher, and there are a couple priced substantially lower. One of the low end ones has had some serious damage repaired. Of course I have no idea what these things are actually selling for. My gut says the one I'm looking at would fit somewhere in the lower half of those on the web, but that doesn't mean much without looking through the log books and getting a good inspection done.

From the info above, risk pobably not worth the spread between your 182 and his 337, but you are the one who can put hands on each plane and judge.

Looking forward to hearing what ya done...

I looked at Trade a Plane as well and the 337's just didn't seem to be worth enough to take on the risk of not being able to sell it. I am sure Okie will make a decision that is right for him. It was a fun thought though.

Yeah, I think I've pretty much decided to pass on it. If I had plenty of cash on hand, I might offer to buy it outright and flip it, but alas, that is not the case.

Now, if any of you cash bearing people want to flip this thing, you can buy it for about 30K. PM me if interested and I'll give you details.

Back