Interesting New Ruling from FAA Regarding Experimental Aircraft

BruceAir

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BruceAir
From EAA.org:

May 9, 2005 - On April 21, 2005, FAA Flight Standards reinforced a regulatory requirement for passenger-carrying experimental/amateur-built aircraft pilots to have category and class ratings for the aircraft they intend to fly. The new Notice, N 8700.42, also provides a “grandfather” clause allowing current pilots without the required ratings a limited window of opportunity (through August 31, 2005) to obtain them. This new policy does not apply to pilots flying experimental aircraft who do not carry passengers....

For more information, see:

http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/050509_rating.html

BruceAir said:
From EAA.org:

May 9, 2005 - On April 21, 2005, FAA Flight Standards reinforced a regulatory requirement for passenger-carrying experimental/amateur-built aircraft pilots to have category and class ratings for the aircraft they intend to fly. The new Notice, N 8700.42, also provides a “grandfather” clause allowing current pilots without the required ratings a limited window of opportunity (through August 31, 2005) to obtain them. This new policy does not apply to pilots flying experimental aircraft who do not carry passengers....

For more information, see:

http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/050509_rating.html

As far as I can see that simply places the same requirements on experimental pilots as certified airplane pilots. The only issue I see is figuring out what category and class something weird would fall into.

Ok does this mean: if I was a PP ASEL and flew an expirmental ASE Sea if I completed all the requirments this article says I could add a sea plane rating without a checkride?

Rob

robsingles said:
Ok does this mean: if I was a PP ASEL and flew an experimental ASE Sea if I completed all the requirements this article says I could add a sea plane rating without a checkride?
If I understand the rule correctly the rating would be for that specific ASE Sea experimental only.

Back