Interesting new hardware...

I saw that a few weeks ago. Had a question about it, so now that you posted it, I will as it :)

In my education, I have learned to come in way high to the airport if I can, and then slip to drop the extra altitude once I know 100% I am going to make it. This thing seems to remove that option for you, and burn off all your altitude with turns before you start your final.

Is that the better approach?

The key to gliding in is being exactly correct, though I would maintain best glide until I had the landing then slow down to sink. It is very rare that I use a slip to sink when just slowing down is quite effective.

The key to gliding in is being exactly correct, though I would maintain best glide until I had the landing then slow down to sink. It is very rare that I use a slip to sink when just slowing down is quite effective.

Interesting. I would think if you had 5,000 feet of runway, if you messed up and landed half way down it (in anything I would ever fly), you would be better off then if you messed up and landed short.

Then again, this thing is not being made for just the types of aircraft I would fly. I can see something that needs a lot of runway equally concerned about landing long, as they are about landing short.

Interesting. I would think if you had 5,000 feet of runway, if you messed up and landed half way down it (in anything I would ever fly), you would be better off then if you messed up and landed short.

Then again, this thing is not being made for just the types of aircraft I would fly. I can see something that needs a lot of runway equally concerned about landing long, as they are about landing short.

Lots of runways out there less than 5000', in an emergency in a 172 700' is plenty, heck I can stuff the 310 into 1200' and could have it slow enough to survive the end in 600. Emergency landings go wrong on excess energy as often as too little, though as you say you can always scrub excess at the end, you don't want too much.

Besides what Henning said (and he's spot-on, in my view), the software displays a continuously-updated energy meter, so you will always have a view of how you are doing.

My typical runway cutoff is half of that actually. 2500' given a good clear way for my weight. 520 HP climbing a solo 160 lb person, 130 gallons of fuel and 150 in luggage doesn't stay near the ground long once I rotate, but I don't rotate until 92 and let it accellerate in ground effect as the gear comes up, that way I don't add the wing drag until my gear drag is gone and I've accellerated through Vyse. It sounds like something long but it's not, it's really not much different than in what you would normally do on a 'positive rate' and keep climbing except I push forward and give a flick of nose down after I hit the gear on my way to the prop levers for the low down climb. Once I know the plane I actually start my roll trimmed for Vyse and I have to pull back pretty significantly to rotate, but I know that if it all starts going wrong, if I release pressure on the yoke, she's gonna seek the speed I'm looking for as I'm working on whatever else.

Back