Interesting look at Air force One

Pretty cool, Thanks Lisa!

A few things I had thought about as they did the tour...

I don't think they showed all of the communications area. I had a student for a short time last August before he headed back to Korea. His brother is the senior secretary for the White House calendar. He gave him a tour of most of the plane a few years ago and he left with a few souvenirs. He described most of what was shown in this film but there was much more we'll never get to see.

Regarding carrying presidential caskets, they barely showed the aft door. If you noticed, it was significantly larger than usual for an airliner passenger door.

I recall something from a previous show that SAM 26000's rear door was not large enough and Johnson would not allow Kennedy's casket to be carried in the cargo area. The door was supposedly modified in order to load the casket normally.

At the time of the 9/11 attacks, there was no means for a radio or television address from Air Force One. The only addresses that day were when he was later taken to Louisiana and Nebraska and finally Washington that night. After that time, the plane then became equipped for full and TV public addresses.

That was pretty funny about the coffee list. Did anyone notice some of the details? Particularly with the sweetener choices.

That was very cool, Lisa. Thanks for posting.

Can you imagine what it takes to become a Presidential Pilot? The selection process must be extensive. That's a special person. One of only 12 so far, pretty cool.

It isn't getting on the maintenance detail either.

If I recall correctly, the Oak Island / Southport NC (SUT) Airport manager used to be the CMSgt on Air Force One. His office had all kinds of memorabilia in it. There were some terrific pictures there.

Back