Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Put ICE on your cell phone:

http://www.komotv.com/stories/37952.htm

Put I.C.E. On Your Cell Phone

July 14, 2005

By Brian Calvert

SEATTLE - A unique campaign is gaining a lot of momentum in England in the wake of last week's deadly bombings. The effort involves how your cell phone could actually help save your life.

Since the tragedy a week ago today, cell phone users in England are being urged to program in a new number, and label that number with the letters I-C-E. That stands for "In case of emergency."

If you become unconscious, rescuers could scroll through your phone, and know exactly who to call, gleaning information that could potentially save your life.

I asked Jim Bowman at King County's 911 Center if he's ever heard of "ICE?"

"No, I haven't," Bowman responded.

But he really likes the idea.

"I'll bring it up with my boss today," Bowman said. "It sounds like something she'll probably want to promote."

And well before any official campaign begins here. "In fact, I'll probably do my phone when we're through talking," Bowman told KOMO News.

"If there is a number in their phone, an 'ICE' number, we can use that as a tool," says Seattle Fire Captain Preston Bang, who says it could help in a variety of situations. "Something as simple as a car accident, or maybe as complex as a subway bombing."

It may take a while to catch on, and any campaign here will take time to develop, but you can help start the life saving conversation by programming your ICE number right now.

Troy Whistman said:
Put ICE on your cell phone:

http://www.komotv.com/stories/37952.htm

Put I.C.E. On Your Cell Phone

It may take a while to catch on, and any campaign here will take time to develop, but you can help start the life saving conversation by programming your ICE number right now.

ICE is the acronym for Immigration and Customs Enforcement - a well known acronym in law enforcement circles. Perhaps something else would be a better choice in this country.

But generally a very good idea. Thanks for sharing. I'll progarm my phone with Emergency Contact right away.

I edited the important numbers on my phone to say things like "Sister - {her name}, Brother - {his name}. I figured anyone could figure that out even if they didn't know what ICE meant. My phone won't allow me to put the same number in for two different text entries.

I am thankful for this post that stimulated my brain to do this.

Last edited:
Brilliant Idea! I just did what Carol mentions for my cell phone.

Back