Interesting HDD Reliability Stats from BackBlaze

I didn't get it.............are the new SSD drives more reliable? Just got through swapping out all the laptops in the house with Samsung Evos.

What is a 'failure' in their system? I had HDDs that started losing a couple of sectors and then I had those that dented the inside of the case.

I didn't get it.............are the new SSD drives more reliable? Just got through swapping out all the laptops in the house with Samsung Evos.

It's not a reliability issue. It's a cost issue. Most places that need tens of thousands of drives still use HDDs because SSDs are still too expensive. Margins can be pretty tight in the datacenter and consumer backup markets.

Rich

What is a 'failure' in their system? I had HDDs that started losing a couple of sectors and then I had those that dented the inside of the case.

From the linked page:
BackBlaze said:
What is a failed hard drive?

For Backblaze there are three reasons a drive is considered to have “failed”:
  1. The drive will not spin up or connect to the OS.
  2. The drive will not sync, or stay synced, in a RAID Array (see note below).
  3. The Smart Stats we use show values above our thresholds.

Rich

From the linked page:

Rich

So item #3 includes the following errors:

From experience, we have found the following 5 SMART metrics indicate impending disk drive failure:
  • SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.
  • SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.
  • SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.
  • SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.
  • SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-smart-stats/

Basically they replace a drive once it shows 1 un^or^ec^abl^ error.

I didn't see how many of their drives failed under items #1, #2 or #3. If a drive continues to read and write data yet it is replaced based on a SMART stat, I dont think that data is terribly useful for anyone else who doesn't use those stats as a predictor of failure.

So item #3 includes the following errors:

From experience, we have found the following 5 SMART metrics indicate impending disk drive failure:
  • SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.
  • SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.
  • SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.
  • SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.
  • SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-smart-stats/

Basically they replace a drive once it shows 1 un^or^ec^abl^ error.

I didn't see how many of their drives failed under items #1, #2 or #3. If a drive continues to read and write data yet it is replaced based on a SMART stat, I dont think that data is terribly useful for anyone else who doesn't use those stats as a predictor of failure.

I never said it was useful. I said it was interesting. :D

Rich

I never said it was useful. I said it was interesting. :D

Rich

The most interesting part are the differences among manufacturers and different models.

Back