Interesting Google Map Trick - You probably already know

bmoeller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RedHeadBarron
Didn't see any open threads about it, but you can search for airports on google maps using their ID.

Merely put in KPHL, KTKI, KECP, etc. Now I did notice that some won't come up because their ID is too close to a searchable word. Example...Erie International (KERI). Simply add "airport" to the end and BAM!

https://www.google.com/maps/search/KTKI/ (McKinney, TX)

Thought I would share. Quicker than typing out the full name or scanning the area. Great for quickly getting an area brief

It's nice that you can even do some of the 'lesser' known airports (that one's that don't start with K such as W35)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

That is neat. It is a new-ish feature, it didn't use to work some time ago.
Thanks for the tip.

Not sure how long ago this started happening, but I'm just getting back into flying and love cross referencing airports on google maps to see if there are any interesting attractions, bus stops, food, etc. Being that I'm a web-head, I woke up wondering if I could merely search by ID. Google's scary smart algorithms appear to be able to cross reference details like ID via AirNav.com and other similar sites.

Always probe Google with new search items. You never know how "evil genius" they really are until you do

Back