Interesting General Aviation News Article: Non-pilot wants to start a flying club

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Here's an interesting article that I read on General Aviation News website. Apparently the person who is forming his own flying club is not even a pilot, at least not yet. Usually non-pilots or student pilots can join an existing flying club but for a non-pilot or student pilot to start his own flying club, how is this even possible?

Here's the link:

http://www.generalaviationnews.com/2013/02/a-newbies-plans-for-joining-the-club/

Why not? He is approaching it as a serious business opportunity.

I do agree with you that it is a great opportunity for him to start one, I'm not against his plans to start one if he is not a pilot.

This articles interests me because, I'm actually wondering what does it take to start your own flying club if you are not a pilot, or are just starting out as a student pilot. Do you look for a CFI to add as a member to the group? Are the legal matters for starting a club the same as a licensed pilot?

I do agree with you that it is a great opportunity for him to start one, I'm not against his plans to start one if he is not a pilot.

This articles interests me because, I'm actually wondering what does it take to start your own flying club if you are not a pilot, or are just starting out as a student pilot. Do you look for a CFI to add as a member to the group? Are the legal matters for starting a club the same as a licensed pilot?

Me too

I troll this site to the point of being obsessed. I have a job most would kill for, but is not providing the income I would like, or one that would allow me to be responsible in regards to a retirement fund and be able to afford to finish (currently at 3 hours unfortunately) my PPL. I would love a club, or to run one. I have way too much time on my hands now as I only work about 25 weeks a year (no, I am not able to work more in my present vocation).

I can't imagine actually making a living from something like this. If I could do both it would be the ultimate perfect scenario. Important note here, I mostly work out of the country.

My attention is on full alert.

I'm on the board of the oldest flying club in Central Texas. My first observation is 'what do you mean by flying club'?

In our case we're really a big partnership. The club owns the airplanes outright, and the members own shares in the club. [aside: Our club is a straight 'C' corporation, although it would have been better had it been established as 501c(7) social club. This is the status of most country clubs, and has some advantages over straight 'C'.]

The other kind of 'Flying Club' is a for profit or non-profit corporation that owns or leases airplanes and turns around and rents them to member pilots. This the flying version of Gold's Gym or the YMCA, respectively.

I hope the non-pilot in question sees both a knowledgeable aviation Attorney and a CPA before he establishes an entity of some kind.

It doesn't sound like he plans to make a profit at this. That's good, because he certainly won't.

I do wish when people use the term 'flying club' that they would say what they mean by that.

I don't see any reason why not. Several pilots here bought their first plane while they were students, and trained in them, and took the checkride in them. There was a thread about it not too long ago.

I think it's important for the manager of a "social club" such as a flying club or country club or community pool to have a passion for the area the club focuses on, but not necessarily be participant. The general manager at our country club is not a golfer.

I don't see any reason why not. Several pilots here bought their first plane while they were students, and trained in them, and took the checkride in them. There was a thread about it not too long ago.

I think it's important for the manager of a "social club" such as a flying club or country club or community pool to have a passion for the area the club focuses on, but not necessarily be participant. The general manager at our country club is not a golfer.

Is your CC manager drawing a salary? Despite not being a golfer, he's presumably a diligent person who does a good job of managing the operations. If he's not earning a respectable salary for his efforts, he probably should be. On the other hand, most people look to a flying club or partnership to reduce their cost of flying, by sharing fixed costs with others, and eliminating the overhead/profit of an FBO by substituting sweat equity.

Yes, a pilot can buy their first, last and only plane (whether HP, twin, etc.) ab initio, train in it, and fly the wings off it happily ever after. There are some advantages (train like you fly - better familiarity with the ship), and also some added expenses doing it that way (ins. costs, more inst. hours required, safety pilots, solo/pax restrictions). There's also constant discussion on this and other boards about the tension between buying a plane sooner (skill-appropriate 172 or PA-28) and buying the kind of plane will suit the mission as a pilot's skills grow (complex, HP, 6-place). If one buys too soon, they can buy the wrong plane.

As for the non-pilot starting a club, before I considered joining I'd want to know more about the individual's motivations, and how the inevitable work of managing this club is going to be allocated. If it turns out the individual is just setting himself up as a fractional GA ownership manager, that can work too, but again usually does not provide the cost advantages that many private pilots look for in joining a club.

Back