Interesting freq. change

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
This was included in my NOTAM update for 2/10/11 to 3/10/11 ...

MEMPHIS, TN–Dewitt–New AWOS, freq 122.7
MILLINGTON, TN–New AWOS, freq 122.8

Maybe it's a non-automated, automated weather observation station. You call into unicom and the person reads you the weather.

Sort of like our non-automated, automated flight service stations (afss) where you call in and get a briefing from a real person!

Interesting frequency choice for an AWOS - 122.7 and 122.8 are typically CTAF freqs.

It does sound like that, and I hate them -- they're always going off and blocking position reports in the pattern -- especially at the next airport on the same CTAF.
Hey, now there's an idea -- outfit the superawos with a voice recognition algorithm to detect and step on anyone who says "any traffic....*SQUEAL!!!!*"

:D

couldnt stand not knowing - called mike at nqa tower; no superawos The freq is the one listed on airnav and above. No plans to get a super.

It does sound like that, and I hate them -- they're always going off and blocking position reports in the pattern -- especially at the next airport on the same CTAF.

I hate them as well. There's one at Orange County, NY (KMGJ). What a pain. You always have 75 Cherokees in the pattern on a nice day. Half of them are talking over eachother, the other half are talking over the SuperAWOS, and the third half are just landing without talking at all. :rolleyes2:

Yes, I realize that makes 3 halves. ;)

Back when KAEG was untowered, they had a superawos. It was useful, because the pattern, while full at times, was often dead.

I used to do radio checks with it and whatnot. It was really only irritating when approaching to land at night, you'd turn down the lights, and the superawos would read the weather to you.

If the radio was dead for x number of minutes, it would broadcast instructions: "Click your mic 3 times for weather, 4 times for radio check."

I think I would hate that super thing. Fortunately when E80 got AWOS last year, they received a normal one at 118.55. E98 has a click-controlled information system at CTAF, but it does not broadcast when idle.

Back