Interesting flight today

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
So I did some pattern work today, and two interesting things happened. Number one, I saw how much smoke a house fire can produce, which is a lot. Circled the fire (while staying out of the smoke) to see that the porch and some of the roof was already gone.

Also had to exit the pattern once because there was an incoming traffic that was on a five mile final and I couldn't see him, so I exited the pattern and re-entered at the left downwind. Didn't want to turn into final and have my back to the traffic.

Luckily traffic never became a problem in that situation and I think I made the right call. Anyways, here's two pictures of the house fire.

100_0133.jpg

100_0136.jpg

Happy 4th everyone!

Also had to exit the pattern once because there was an incoming traffic that was on a five mile final and I couldn't see him, so I exited the pattern and re-entered at the left downwind. Didn't want to turn into final and have my back to the traffic.

Luckily traffic never became a problem in that situation and I think I made the right call.

Unless you're flying something with a 40 Kt approach speed and the plane on a 5 mile final is blasting in at 200 KIAS, there's no need to be concerned about landing ahead of the other plane if you're anywhere near ready to turn base. And you should become very visible to the other pilot when you raise a wing to turn final. Not saying you did anything wrong, but exiting and re-entering the pattern isn't really any safer than staying in unless you have a close in conflict while on base.

Unless you're flying something with a 40 Kt approach speed and the plane on a 5 mile final is blasting in at 200 KIAS, there's no need to be concerned about landing ahead of the other plane if you're anywhere near ready to turn base. And you should become very visible to the other pilot when you raise a wing to turn final. Not saying you did anything wrong, but exiting and re-entering the pattern isn't really any safer than staying in unless you have a close in conflict while on base.

My approach speed was 65kts and I think the traffic was a Cardinal? It was def. a Cessna.

If the other airplane called final, it's his runway. You did the right thing.

5 mile final and he owns it? I disagree.

Sometimes I report 10 or 15 straight in (final). I wouldn't expect to own the runway. 5 miles is outside the class D and the inner core of class C.

5 miles called. 5 miles perceived? could be closer, could be further, but IMHO its too close a call to cut him off if you don't have him in sight. You did the right thing.

Interesting. I would definitely not expect this if I was flying in on the ILS on a VMC day and called up at 10 miles straight in. Similarly if I was abeam the numbers on downwind and somebody else in a piston single called 5 mile final I would perhaps expedite my base turn but there should be plenty of separation.

Would be it be better to call up "Tiger XXXXX 10 miles, straight in 14" instead of saying "Tiger XXXXX 10 mile final, straight in 14"?

Interesting. I would definitely not expect this if I was flying in on the ILS on a VMC day and called up at 10 miles straight in. Similarly if I was abeam the numbers on downwind and somebody else in a piston single called 5 mile final I would perhaps expedite my base turn but there should be plenty of separation.

Would be it be better to call up "Tiger XXXXX 10 miles, straight in 14" instead of saying "Tiger XXXXX 10 mile final, straight in 14"?
AFaIK, the only PC call out far on a straight in approach is "XX miles out (or specific direction like south) on the extended centerline for runway NN". This avoids the mention of a straight in or the word "final" which tends to send the pattern Nazis into a tizzy. But the best option is to clearly indicate your willingness to blend in with the flow as necessary as in: "Ten miles out, planning a straight in but if that doesn't work I'll join the pattern on upwind".

"Ten miles out, planning a straight in but if that doesn't work I'll join the pattern on upwind".

That's what I always do if I don't hear anyone, though our CTAF gets crazy busy because lots of airports use it, so I generally say something like, "...seven East, straight in for 29 traffic permitting"

Damn you for making me look this up (LOL)
§ 91.113 Right-of-way rules: Except water operations.

(g) Landing. Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while landing, have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the surface, except that they shall not take advantage of this rule to force an aircraft off the runway surface which has already landed and is attempting to make way for an aircraft on final approach. When two or more aircraft are approaching an airport for the purpose of landing, the aircraft at the lower altitude has the right-of-way, but it shall not take advantage of this rule to cut in front of another which is on final approach to land or to overtake that aircraft.

Back