Interesting flight to GYH yesterday

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
The weather was quite a challenge flying from the Dallas are to Greenville, SC yesterday morning. Forecasts showed moderate to severe thunderstorms in the Dallas area with a large system moving in from the west. Large stationary front along the normal routing slowly moving south.

I departed before the largest systems got to Dallas, but still had to deal with moderate rain from Dallas to Quitman; a few lightning strikes just to my right on the route and climbed through rain at -10 to -17C from about 16,000 upt to FL190. My one board radar clearly showed I'd break out shortly; NEXRAD on the 396 confirmed where the large system was (just right of track). Once I broke out, it was clear sailing to the greenville SC area with a great tail wind. Trued out at 204 and the ground track was between 235 and 250 most of the flight.

Center rerouted me right over Atlanta to Athens, began bringing me down there and it was a little late. Came down at 1,000 fpm and still had to be vectored south to get down to patter altitude.

Once I got clear of the bad weather just east of Dallas--great flight!

The P-Baron sure showed it's stuff on this flight. Never would have done it in the A-36.

Linking up with Carol and Bill tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting them in person. TSRA forecast for here tomorrow.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
The weather was quite a challenge flying from the Dallas are to Greenville, SC yesterday morning. Forecasts showed moderate to severe thunderstorms in the Dallas area with a large system moving in from the west. Large stationary front along the normal routing slowly moving south....

The P-Baron sure showed it's stuff on this flight. Never would have done it in the A-36.
Challenging wx is almost fun when you're up to it.:)

lancefisher said:
Challenging wx is almost fun when you're up to it.:)

Also fun when you have the proper equipment to deal with it.

The on-board radar could pick out which cells were growing by using a tilt down and slowly raising it to level and above. Showed what was lower, what was level and what was at the altitude I was climbing to. Also showed how far it would be until convective activity let up.

The NEXRAD is a great strategic tool to show where the system is and which way it's moving. Having the K-ice plane made the difference in the climb even though no ice accumulated!

Dave

The folks on this board are so great! Met with Carol and got a great tour of the area, some restaurant recommendations and got to see how great she is in person!

We met a Donaldon and chatted for awhile; then, went to the mall to find a place for lunch. Looked at several places, but the ones she preferred all opened at 5:00 P.M.; so, we proceeded into downtown where there has been a revitalization effort that has transformed part of the city. Great food overlooking the waterfall.

Carol and I had a lot to chat about: planes, she's from Florida and a graduate of the same college as my daughter (JU); guns; Europe, and there was an art fest in the streets at Greenville. Very enjoyable time and now when I write to Carol on the board, I know much more about Carol!!

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks again, Dave. The pleasure was all mine. And thanks for letting me see your beautiful airplane.

Here is the billboard I was telling you about.

Attachments

• creatures.jpg
    creatures.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 31
Dave Siciliano said:
The folks on this board are so great! Met with Carol and got a great tour of the area, some restaurant recommendation and got to see how great she is in person!
Carol IS wonderful! She was the first aviation forum person that I met, and I'm so glad I got to meet her! She is a true southern lady. :)

Carol:
What were the names of the other two places at the mall?

Peddlar was great for dinner tonight! Did the prime rib and brought some home. Neat family place.

Dave

Just got back to Dallas. The return trip this afternoon was no problemo except for 2500 foot ceilings at Addison. Thirty to forty know headwinds coming home.

It was great to see my Daughter, son-in-law and Granddaughter!!

Dave

Back