Interesting few weeks! lol

Naithan Scott

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
naithanscott
Hey everyone!
I just have to share the events that have transpired since I last posted. After Pilawt and I took to the skies, I joined him for a Saturday evening church service. The message was about everyone having influence that can make you a leader. To avoid preaching on a forum, I'll cut straight to the chase lol. The sermon reignited my passion to serve in the armed forces, something that I wanted to do years before my track career took off. I wanted to be a pilot in the air force, but I pushed it back for years and I got married and had children...same story you've probably heard before. However, I did make an effort to put together an officer package during my athletic career and it came to an abrupt halt when the AF recruiter left without notice or communication. So, after my church visit I decided to reach out to another AF recruiter and a Navy recruiter (just in case the AF left me hanging again). The AF took 3 weeks to contact me, while the Navy took me through Meps, all required documentation, ASTB testing, security clearance and final references. I am submitting my application as a Naval Flight Officer (at age 28) with scores of
OAR: 54
AQR: 7
PFAR: 8
FOFAR: 8
and I will be continuing my aviation career while serving my country! Everything has been moving quickly, but I look forward to my next chapter! If you have any advice or tips to prep for OCS or flight training, please feel free to share!

Hey everyone!
I just have to share the events that have transpired since I last posted. After Pilawt and I took to the skies, I joined him for a Saturday evening church service. The message was about everyone having influence that can make you a leader. To avoid preaching on a forum, I'll cut straight to the chase lol. The sermon reignited my passion to serve in the armed forces, something that I wanted to do years before my track career took off. I wanted to be a pilot in the air force, but I pushed it back for years and I got married and had children...same story you've probably heard before. However, I did make an effort to put together an officer package during my athletic career and it came to an abrupt halt when the AF recruiter left without notice or communication. So, after my church visit I decided to reach out to another AF recruiter and a Navy recruiter (just in case the AF left me hanging again). The AF took 3 weeks to contact me, while the Navy took me through Meps, all required documentation, ASTB testing, security clearance and final references. I am submitting my application as a Naval Flight Officer (at age 28) with scores of
OAR: 54
AQR: 7
PFAR: 8
FOFAR: 8
and I will be continuing my aviation career while serving my country! Everything has been moving quickly, but I look forward to my next chapter! If you have any advice or tips to prep for OCS or flight training, please feel free to share!

OCS has changed a lot I'm sure, but people with athletic backgrounds usually do fine. Just be prepared to get yelled at (you get used to that pretty quick), and be prepared for very little sleep. Managing to get enough rest was probably the toughest part for me, nothing else was particularly difficult. The people who quit mostly did so because they couldn't handle the harassment. My guess is that your coaches prepped you well enough for that.

Best wishes Naithan. That was my dream as well, in high school, 33 years ago! Wanted to become a fighter pilot, but for reasons I won't get into here, I opted for a career in my other passion (electricity). I became an Industrial Electrician at EWR and LGA, maintaining the runways/taxiways. Signage, control tower, terminals and all things electrical. As well as the ventilation fans and the High Tension at the tunnels (13.8Kv).

For the past 17 years, I've worked as Systems Controller in a giant control room (I no longer get my hands dirty:D).
Much success to you, now..."straighten up and fly right" ;)

Back