Interesting early b-day gift

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I got an interesting early birthday gift over the weekend from my sister-in-law. I often fly her kids around and she is very Catholic. She gave me Joseph of Cupertino Medallion. I am not even Christian so I was a little puzzled as to what to do with this talisman and asked her about it. It seems he is the patron saint of astronauts and pilots and that according to the saints index he will protect me when I fly.

I am not sure how to take the gift as an insult to my flying ability or as a nice thought. I choose the latter for family's sake.

I did do a little research on this guy. Aparently because he used to be able to levitate himself which led to his becoming (not sure how it all works) the Saint for pilots. He was doing this stuff way back in 1603.

Last edited:
sounds like a nice thought to me. I know lots of people who have the patron saint of driving hanging in their cars. OK im sure hes not the patron saint of driving, but its supposed to keep them safe, so they like it.

smigaldi said:
I am not sure how to take the gift as an insult to my flying ability or as a nice thought. I choose the latter for family's sake.
Hmmm. Well, if it's an insult to your flying ability, then it's also an insult to her intelligence for sending her children with you. Unless...:D

If you are enthusiastic about a hobby, people are going to buy you stuff. "Oh look...an airplane toilet paper holder...I should buy that for Scott...." At the root of it, it's your enthusiasm that invites people's attention. On the surface, it was a nice thought.

P8

Oh, and happy birthday!
:)

p8cleared2land said:
Oh, and happy birthday!
:)

Thanks, it is actually next month but they gave me my presents early. The other one was a celtic etching of dolhpins on a small medalion. Looks really cool, I like that celtic stuff alot.

p8cleared2land said:
Hmmm. Well, if it's an insult to your flying ability, then it's also an insult to her intelligence for sending her children with you. Unless...:D

You're right about that. Actuall they are quit happy with my safety choices. There has been several times they have seen me cancle trips due to possibilities of problems, so my judgement is considered very good in their eyes. I make sure I never put that trust that I have earned in jepordary either by making risking flights.

I know people that carry a Han Solo action figure around with them because he is the patron saint of freight dogs.

"I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I got my plastic Jesus...."

That's good. We've needed a replacement since St. Christopher was fired.

"I can go a hundred miles an hour,
Long as I got the mighty power..."

mikea said:
That's good. We've needed a replacement since St. Christopher was fired.

Eh? Had to look that one up to get it.

I think it would be a cool present. I'm neither Catholic nor particularly religious but I think it would be a great gift. For one thing I don't currently have any medallions to wear around my neck on a gold chain.

smigaldi said:
I keep telling everyone that I make expert crash landings. They never laugh. Perhaps the medal is already on my Christmas list without my knowing it :redface:

smigaldi said:
Joseph of Cupertino ... used to be able to levitate himself which led to his becoming (not sure how it all works) the Saint for pilots.

As opposed to Steve of Cupertino, who by surrounding himself with a strong reality distortion field, makes himself appear to fly. :D

Back