Interesting Day, Had To Give CPR

Great job with the desired result! :yes:
My wife and I recertified last month after being out of practice for a couple decades. Today they teach chest compressions only, no breaths. Apparently there are studies supporting this change of process.

Today they teach chest compressions only, no breaths. Apparently there are studies supporting this change of process.

??
https://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m4240170_Adult_ready_reference.pdf

I think the difference is now you start with chest compressions instead of breaths.

There is also a bit of a difference in how you handle children vs. adults. Older adults is more of a presumption that it is a heart issue, where with kids it is more likely a respiratory or choking problem (as was the case for Geico's patient). It is likely this child's heart didn't completely stop, but the pulse was so weak it couldn't be felt.

I've been trained on CPR since high school, and current almost continuously. The training keeps evolving but most of the differences matter little in practice except to pass the test (this is according to some of my instructors). Keeping the airway open is the hardest part, and I doubt the simulations with Annie really prepare you for what you'll deal with, having never handled anything past a simple choking situation with a child that they were able to clear with the "just keep coughing" prompts.

??
https://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m4240170_Adult_ready_reference.pdf

I think the difference is now you start with chest compressions instead of breaths.

There is also a bit of a difference in how you handle children vs. adults. Older adults is more of a presumption that it is a heart issue, where with kids it is more likely a respiratory or choking problem (as was the case for Geico's patient). It is likely this child's heart didn't completely stop, but the pulse was so weak it couldn't be felt.

I've been trained on CPR since high school, and current almost continuously. The training keeps evolving but most of the differences matter little in practice except to pass the test (this is according to some of my instructors). Keeping the airway open is the hardest part, and I doubt the simulations with Annie really prepare you for what you'll deal with, having never handled anything past a simple choking situation with a child that they were able to clear with the "just keep coughing" prompts.
I can only relay what we were taught in the last couple months.

Good job, and everyone should have basic first aid and CPR training.

I'm trained in first aid and CPR and have had a dozen or more training classes on it with work, but have never had to use it for real thank God.

"the life you save may be your own" :)

I think some of the emphasis on compressions only is to simplify instructions over the phone from an EMS dispatcher. "Push hard, push fast" is easy to learn.

I just looked at our local Red Cross website - I already can't remember exactly, but I think it's $90 for the CPR and $110 for the CRP/First Aid combo. I think it's a little cheaper if you find a class that's "adult" CPR and doesn't include "adult and pediatric" CPR.

Checked at the YMCA just now. They do CPR training but it's for employees only. They did say the local medical center offers classes on a regular basis at no charge and possibly the local FD does, too. So there are a couple more places to check out for training.

Often local health departments will offer community cpr training for free or nominal costs. Some employers will pay for training as well.

??

Note the date on the linked sheet. "Hands only" bystander cpr is relatively new. The idea is that people are more likely to perform cpr if they don't have to worry about dealing with patient's nasty mouths. Healthcare provider cpr still includes respirations. But even with healthcare provider cpr the respirations are being less and less emphasized. Compression to breath ratios are likely to change from 30 - 2 to 50 - 2.

Last edited:
'compression only' recognizes that there is air-exchange from the compressions alone. As noted, the push for 'compression only' is to lower the threshold in bystanders that may keep them from using their skills.

What has become very clear is that for adults, early defibrillation is what makes a difference. AEDs save lives.

In kids, many cardiac arrests are the result of a lack of oxygen.

First off. THANK YOU, for taking the time to care about another human being.

I sit here now shaking, hoping I did all I could to save the boy.
I know this is redundant considering the number of replies you've already gotten, but yes, yes you did. Sometimes, there is only so much you can do. I still remember July 11th, 2014, approximately 1100hrs, when I got called to an infant not breathing, not conscious, with CPR in progress. Upon arrival, I made a split second decision to NOT wait for an ambulance and jump in the back of a second squad car and continued CPR enroute to the hospital. From the time the 911 call was made until I arrived at the hospital, infant in hand...9 minutes. Unfortunately Leddi didn't make it, but Leddi's mother later told us 15 other infants received organ transplants, many critical, due to how quickly Leddi got to the hospital.

A few "sessions" with Captain Morgan and I'm good. Shrinks just like to talk, and I woundn't pass a medical. Only time heals for me...... and a good stiff drink. ;)
They say you shouldn't handle stress with alcohol, but sometimes, it's exactly what's needed.
Don't worry about breaking ribs (you probably will break some), don't worry about anything else. Good job.
Chances are, if you're giving effective CPR, you will break a rib or two.

Back