Interesting coincidence? NA

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
Starting this month, the company I work for is implementing a new technology that issues a warning when visiting a "non work related" website. The warning, we were told, will prompt you to consider whether or not the site you want to visit is worth losing your job to do so. :mad::(

I am posting this because I am taking the day off to tend to some personal business, and I am presently at home. Man, it's sure is tough loving what I do, but being very dissatisfied with who I do it for.:(

On that note however, I was asked yesterday as a matter of fact, by two different people who own their own companies and do contract work for the company I work for, if I do "work on the side". I have regularly done work for them on the products they handle for us, and they both have been extremely satisfied with the quality and rapid turnaround that I have given them, and apparently wish to retain my services for all the other products they handle for other clients not related to (or in competition with) my current employer. One of them also does web design and indicated to me that she would be willing to trade services. I have been considering for some time now, the possibility of starting my own small business with a good website that allows file transfer via FTP server.

During down time at work, I have done work for friends and co-workers of the sort that can be seen at this guys website. But my main area of expertise is in making images press ready. More info about what I do can be seen in this thread.

I think fate may be telling me it's time to get off my duff and make something happen.

I think it's a sign.

My last employer restricted websites so I couldn't even use mapquest to find directions to projects. I asked them to please let me use it and they did. But I hated that place and they laid me off three years ago. Working at home is the best, as it lets me hang out with you crazy folks all I want. :D

I realize time is wasted by a great many office workers playing on the net. But, it seems some companies are taking the counter-fight to an extreme. Yours is one of them.

The only other thing that bugs me are companies that restrict web sites based on the management's political agenda. According to the list on Boortz' site, it's mostly conservative sites that are banned. Banning "non-work related" sites at least appears more reasonable but then it depends on what they consider work-related.

About the only way to have more freedom any more is to work for yourself. I'm somewhat tied to a company doing courier work and have been with one company or another over the last twelve years. But, I still have the choice of when, where and what I do. I must give them the courtesy to know when I'm not available but so must any self-employed person when contracted to a customer.

However, when I turn to being a CFI I'll become an employee for the first time in over twelve years. That's going to be somewhat of a change if not a large one. I'm ambivalent but optimistic it will be positive as I'll then be free of the many things that have changed on the road. I'm sure I'll live longer.

If you can do work on the side and build that up along with a reputation for an independent source, it might be the best way to go. It would be safer than cold turkey since you have the current job. The only worry would be your current employer getting word and feeling you are a threat attempting to compete with them. So, at some point you may have to cut bait and go fish.

I hope whatever you plan works out.

There is no greater satisfaction that owning and growing your own company.

There is also no greater fear than worrying about whether work is coming in, (if you have employees) whether payroll can be met, and whether you're getting paid by clients.

My suggestions are that you have a plan, that you have an exit strategy, that you've thought through all the business issues (including contracts, billing, payment, etc), and that you know what your downside alternative will be if it doesn't work. Many local Chambers of Commerce and similar organizations offer contacts, mentoring networks, and even classes/seminars on doing business for yourself...... picked carefully, these can be a great resource.

Frank, seeing as how it would not be me taking the risk, I'm not going to advise you one way or the other, except to say follow your heart - do your research and follow your heart. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for ya!

Many companies limit internet access. I find this most curious because if they had not made it available years ago and TOLD US to use it, they wouldn't be in the predicament they're in. With all the non-business use of the internet, they've had to keep buying more and more bandwidth. Now, after getting us all hooked, they start snatching it back.
Scrooges all!
A friend of mine just quit his full time job to make a go of his own business. He claims he was doing 10k a month part time. Seems that might be a bit overstated but IF I were making 10k part time, I'd be satisfied working two jobs. Hell, I'd be satisfied working ONE job!

Frank, as others have said, make a plan and go for it. Owning your own business is the most rewarding experience you can have. It is not always
easy, and the challenges are many. We pilots like a challenge though don't we. When I was turned down for financing for my business, I refused to take no for an answer. I tried every resource I could find. In the end I started it with a Visa card and $2000 dollars cash, and worked my butt off, but succeded in creating a financially strong and very successful business. It is hard work but you can do it too!!

Wow! I leave to take care of some personal matters and I come back to this. :)

Thank you so much everyone for the advise, wisdom, and encouragement! :yes:

Great community this is!

Reminds me of Comcast. We literally had hours between calls in the middle of the night, and I couldn't visit ANY websites because Comcast used Websense to block almost everything (including PoA). I wound up installing an HTML proxy on one of my webservers and used that to connect to PoA.

For me, it was a no-brainer. I hated the place, and didn't care if they caught me. When I needed to do work, I did work, but when there was down time, I was online. The way it should be.

Back