Interesting CNN piece > Murder rates in cities.

RussT

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
R.j.
Worlds most dangerous cities...
New Orleans is 21st on the list with a murder rate of 57.88 per 100,000 people per year.

I thought it was interesting when I heard that's how they measured it because it sounds similar to aviation safety. Fatal accident rate of 1.33 / 100,000 hours (2009).

So flying 200 hours a year in GA is only 4.6 times more dangerous than 'just living' in New Orleans. (Fatal accident vs being murdered)

I'm sure people would argue that being in a gang, or dealing drugs will dramatically increase your chance of being in that murder statistic. And I will say inadvertently flying into IMC, icing or a mountain, or doing steep turns on final will dramatically increase your chances of being in the GA statistic.

It was a dump before the hurricane. I don't plan on returning either.

New Orleans is awesome. One of my favorite cities. Much like flying, a little common sense goes a long way towards not getting killed.

Worlds most dangerous cities...
New Orleans is 21st on the list with a murder rate of 57.88 per 100,000 people per year.

I thought it was interesting when I heard that's how they measured it because it sounds similar to aviation safety. Fatal accident rate of 1.33 / 100,000 hours (2009).

So flying 200 hours a year in GA is only 4.6 times more dangerous than 'just living' in New Orleans. (Fatal accident vs being murdered)

I'm sure people would argue that being in a gang, or dealing drugs will dramatically increase your chance of being in that murder statistic. And I will say inadvertently flying into IMC, icing or a mountain, or doing steep turns on final will dramatically increase your chances of being in the GA statistic.

Great analysis. I like it!

'puts things in perspective, for sure.
I get a kick of all the people who insist that visiting some sleepy little Mexican town, like Loreto, might be dangerous, but don't think anything about visiting St. Louis, New Orleans, Flint, Detroit, D.C., Cleveland, Nashville, or Stockton. Hell, there's lot's of places I wouldn't walk at night right here in Phoenix!

Like many things, it's location, location, location!!:D
I like New Orleans, I liked it better when I was drinking, it's a fun city, but you have to have a little common sense, just like flying. ;)
In most large cities it pays to stay in the areas that have the nicer hotels vs "checking out the housing projects" :D

Last edited:
Don't hold your breath Ben.

I like Nawlins. Was just there for new years (Sugarbowl) where we got our asses kicked by our old Defensive coach. Still had a great time. Like everyone says, common sence goes a long way.

Back