Interesting Clouds and Winds

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
This is the view out of one my office windows right now.
attachment.php

The view is towards the NE.

the clouds are doing this interesting 'rotor' like thing and stretch to the north and south for as far as I can see.

I'll bet it is an interesting ride!!

Nearest airport METAR
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]KPWK [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]261552Z 05005KT 10SM OVC016 14/09 A2989 RMK AO2 SLP122 T01390089 [/FONT]

Attachments

• ATT27178140.jpg
    ATT27178140.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 141
looks like wave, probably is wave. matt m and I have obsevered these sort of formations many times in Iowa.

it really doesnt take a huge elevation change to start a standing wave, just a bump somewhere. We've seen pretty impressive wave bars that appear to be started by the missouri or mississippi river valleys. Northwest Airline pilots have reported wave activity over the black hills in SD.

Heres an sat picture of one of those days over Iowa. I think this was in february about 2 or 3 years ago.

Iowa%20wave%2040506.jpeg

and this was the corresponding view from Matt M's backyard:

Iowawave2april506.jpg

Now for the obvious question... Scott, would this be soarable????

Now for the obvious question... Scott, would this be soarable????
I think so. But I of course bow to your soaring greatness. I would think, neglecting cloud clearance issues and the fact that I am about 8 miles away for ORD and that is along the final approach course for runway 14R, that you could ride the lift up and the out of the wave.

pete beat me to it. i was wondering what sort of updraft strength scott thought there would be in those bars.

pete beat me to it. i was wondering what sort of updraft strength scott thought there would be in those bars.
I have gotten rides in mountain wave in my plane when I was flying back from North Carolina and the clouds looked a lot like that. That is why I would suspect updraft. ScottD stated that perhaps there might not be. I would like to know the answer and reasoning behind it.

Weather discussion are always good and rarely get into FAA legal interpretations.

Back