Interesting Cloud

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-cloud-captured-hovering-Moscow.html?ITO=1490

In what could have been a scene from the film Independence Day, a luminous ring-shaped cloud could be seen hovering over the city of Moscow last week.
The pale gold 'halo' could be seen above the Russian capital city's Western District on Wednesday, and was captured on film by stunned Muscovites.
Meteorologists rejected any theories of the supernatural however, calling it an optical effect.

Very interesting. I have never seen anything like that.

Last edited:
The space ship was cloaked, as per their protocol.

The antigravity generators were disrupting and illuminating the cloud deck. Normally, they try to stay at least 800 feet above the layer. It's possible their propulsion system was out of calibration. At least their cloaking device was still working correctly...

seen that before. Large isolated thermal hits stratus layer.

Speaking of interesting clouds this past sunday Gary Shelby and I were flying back from Breakfast at N27 ( Bradford County PA) We were headed south in a mountainous region but nothing very big mostly ridges not exceeding 2000 feet or so. Wind was from the North West and over one of the last ridges before things got a bit more level we saw one or two cumulus clouds without any vertical development and what appeared to be a lenticular capping the cumulus cloud.

Sounds like a rotor cloud under the lennie. I bet you had a little mountain wave going on there.

I was wondering if thats what it was pete I had always thought that the rotors were a bit down wind of the ridge but this was right under the lennie. Plus it really just lookied like all the other dang cumulus out there but perhaps just a bit larger.

Does a rotor cloud have anything about it that defines it other than being near a lennie?

I'm not that familiar with Wave, being a flatlander and all, but from what I understand the roll cloud will be a stationary cumulus like cloud. Depending on the wave they can form a long band like this photo
sierrarotor3.jpg

This page has some pretty good info on Mountain Waves in general

http://www.pilotfriend.com/safe/safety/mountain_wave.htm

Yea pete those lennies are really a LOT higher than the rotor coulds. The one I saw amost enveloped the cumulus. Probably was some sort of Mountain wave action though.

often the wind blowing up and over a cumulus cloud (particularly if the wind is strong-ish) will cause a lenticular cap cloud. its pretty nifty to see. the cloud acts like the mountain.

Back