Interesting Boeing test flight in progress

They do that.

Boeing.jpg

mapx-large.jpg

Nice thanks for the post,hope it works Sunday.

I'm surprised how low they are flying this... 12,000'?!

If you haven't guessed. 12,000 and 12 are references to the Seahawks 12th man. It is neat how FA uses colors that match the Seahawks colors.

If you haven't guessed. 12,000 and 12 are references to the Seahawks 12th man. It is neat how FA uses colors that match the Seahawks colors.

DUH.... can't believe I missed the 12 reference in their altitude!

Let's see them fly it at 120 knots (they are flying this quite slow, actually).

DUH.... can't believe I missed the 12 reference in their altitude!

Let's see them fly it at 120 knots (they are flying this quite slow, actually).

12000 meters is a good cruising altitude for a 747….

120 knots (indicated) can be done in a very light 747 with the flaps all out. That's close to Vref at minimum weight.

Are they doing a gear down test? That would require slow speeds and low altitudes.

I'm impressed with who/whatever they're using to design the route.

Rumor has it that Lockheed Space Systems here in Denver is about to launch a missile to shoot that 747 down. :)

GO BRONCOS!!

Last edited:
I'm impressed with who/whatever they're using to design the route.

Pretty much any decent flight planner can do that.

I'll bet you can even do it in Foreflight.

Unless they have an in-house planner (which they might), I'd expect them to use something like PFPS/FalconView like the Air Force does.

One very expensive way. WTF do you think that flight cost in fuel flying it at 12,000' for 5:30?

Some tests have to be done at low altitude, particularly if the pressurization system isn't certified yet or landing envelope verification is underway. Flight control tests are sometimes done at low altitude because the envelope is wider -- mach buffett isn't going to be a factor.

I really doubt Boeing did this for fun, or for PR. They had something they needed to do.

At normal altitude, the retail cost to run a heavy 747 is in the neighborhood of $3 or $4 per second in jet fuel costs alone. Let's say $1-$2 because it's probably light and the new engines are more efficient. It can only be more at 12,000 feet. That means that flight probably cost around $20,000 in jet fuel. Cheaper than a Super Bowl ad (by a lot), but no one but pilots is going to see that.

Back