Interesting BBQ map video

If you get Netflix, check out this series:

Snow’s, in Lexington, TX and Rodney Scott’s in Charleston, SC are two places I would like to check out. But it might be too late now that they have become so famous.

The love of the game is what makes good BBQ.

I started watching the series--thanks!

Over the weekend, I attended a BBQ school and competition in RI. Geared towards the backyard/tailgate competition division, it was a day of class with some really excellent NEBS instructors, focussed on chicken wings and ribs, then day two was an actual competition, cooking the same. An excellent format, in my opinion. I think attendees could not have participated in more than 5 competitions in order to attend. Everyone was provided with wings and ribs from the same source, there were loaner smokers of all types, though a number of teams did bring their own.

I learned a LOT. I've slowly been upping my game smoking at home, but this was my first competition, and my first time using a pellet smoker--a Fast Eddy with glitchy electronics that shut off twice during the cook.

My wife and I ended up placing 4th overall. Our wings at least looked excellent, though they didn't place...but we took first place for ribs! Brought home a nice check, and braggin' rights.

wing box.jpg rib box.jpg instructors.jpg

I started watching the series--thanks!

Over the weekend, I attended a BBQ school and competition in RI. Geared towards the backyard/tailgate competition division, it was a day of class with some really excellent NEBS instructors, focussed on chicken wings and ribs, then day two was an actual competition, cooking the same. An excellent format, in my opinion. I think attendees could not have participated in more than 5 competitions in order to attend. Everyone was provided with wings and ribs from the same source, there were loaner smokers of all types, though a number of teams did bring their own.

I learned a LOT. I've slowly been upping my game smoking at home, but this was my first competition, and my first time using a pellet smoker--a Fast Eddy with glitchy electronics that shut off twice during the cook.

My wife and I ended up placing 4th overall. Our wings at least looked excellent, though they didn't place...but we took first place for ribs! Brought home a nice check, and braggin' rights.

View attachment 96644 View attachment 96643 View attachment 96645
We are all KCBS competitions here.
I will have to look up the differences in rules with NEBS.

I do like the idea of those contests where smokers and meat are provided. I’ve never cooked or judged one of those contests though.

Here are a couple sample pix of what a normal KCBS contest entry will look like for chicken and ribs. Almost everyone does bone-in thighs. The first chicken pix is my team’s, the other pix are from people that were asking various judges for their opinions.

D9D50CF2-93A6-48BA-B4A3-BA5319DA2CC7.jpeg CDE14D70-5E63-43CE-B958-D94934DE8342.jpeg 21549F96-62FE-4DF1-88C2-0FA6D25524EC.jpeg 6FDA317C-C49A-4CFC-9DF8-FA49AE66124D.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 96647 View attachment 96648 View attachment 96649 View attachment 96650
We are all KCBS competitions here.
I will have to look up the differences in rules with NEBS.

I do like the idea of those contests where smokers and meat are provided. I’ve never cooked or judged one of those contests though.

Here are a couple sample pix of what a normal KCBS contest entry will look like for chicken and ribs. Almost everyone does bone-in thighs. The first chicken pix is my team’s, the other pix are from people that were asking various judges for their opinions.

View attachment 96647 View attachment 96648 View attachment 96649 View attachment 96650

Those are some gorgeous turn-in boxes!

I believe KCBS and NEBS (Northeast BBQ Society) rules are quite similar, the NEBS instructors seem to complete in more KCBS contests than anything else. In fact, one of the instructors, Chris Clegg (who I believe is doing pretty well in KCBS competion) announced it as a KCBS contest in the awards presentation, and then caught and corrected himself.

I think the wings were unique to the backyard division; I would have been expecting to cook thighs.

Provided meats did tend to level the playing field. The provided smokers were more of a convenience; there were two big stick burners, 4 barrels, 3 Fast Eddy's, and two or three other upright cabinet smokers I didn't recognize, so it was a good opportunity to learn new hardware, but it wasn't consistent across the teams.

Those are some gorgeous turn-in boxes!

I believe KCBS and NEBS (Northeast BBQ Society) rules are quite similar, the NEBS instructors seem to complete in more KCBS contests than anything else. In fact, one of the instructors, Chris Clegg (who I believe is doing pretty well in KCBS competion) announced it as a KCBS contest in the awards presentation, and then caught and corrected himself.

I think the wings were unique to the backyard division; I would have been expecting to cook thighs.

Provided meats did tend to level the playing field. The provided smokers were more of a convenience; there were two big stick burners, 4 barrels, 3 Fast Eddy's, and two or three other upright cabinet smokers I didn't recognize, so it was a good opportunity to learn new hardware, but it wasn't consistent across the teams.

Looks like, from a quick reading of the rules, NEBS allows for different garnish categories, KCBS does not. I'm not sure about the meat and schedules for NEBS turn-ins, but KCBS contests are very consistent: Chicken at noon, ribs at 12:30, pork at 1:00, and brisket at 1:30. Many contests have ancillary categories (sausage, misc, ...) but they are not KCBS defined so they don't count towards season points.

Good luck to you. If you have questions, let me know. I think I just retired after 30+ years of contest cooking and will keep up with it as a judge. I just can't take the heat of too many more KS summers outside for a couple of days in a row.

edit:

I did see that NEBS has a "Tailgate" contest. KCBS has them but they are called "Backyard". I don't see too many Backyard contests around here, most people skip them and go all in. The nice thing about the backyard/tailgate contests is that you can pull into your spot in the morning, cook chicken and ribs, then go home same day.

Last edited:
Back