Interesting article about privacy today

Big government is going to big government

Luckily when enough of the populous finally decides they have had enough, especially with our rights being as ingrained in many Americans as they are, we can still put the government back into to its place.

Not a always a fan of infowars, but about 2:20 in

Last edited:
Stallman will be Stallman, but he’s often right. He also was a government leech indirectly for decades at MIT, since they wouldn’t be paying him without massive student loans backing the entire business.

Once his popularity was high enough he could live off of speeches, at least then he wasn’t a complete hypocrite. Other than he would have had to have a real paid job at some point long prior to survive.

FSF is a good organization overall but Stallman as the head is somewhere between disingenuous and completely necessary. It’s a very odd thing.

Anyway...

The Bundy case is turning out to be quite the interesting one in terms of government misconduct. That Nevada prosecutor’s office appears to be overrun with prosecutors who don’t just break legal rules, but appear to be quite proud of it.

https://theintercept.com/2018/04/26/cliven-bundy-case-nevada-prosecutorial-misconduct/

The irony is the link between these two topics is the above article, linked directly from Stallman’s website. Even he says he doesn’t agree with the Bundys and what they did, but calls out the Federal Prosecutors for being WAY over the line on the case.

I just happened to stumble on to the link to the article on his website. I’d read it from other sources, but I found it neat that he linked to one that was well written and two above posts could be directly linked by the article.

Like Stallman basically says, the misconduct of the Bundys is bad, but the misconduct of the Prosecutors should worry us all far more.

Last edited:
The Bundy case is turning out to be quite the interesting one in terms of government misconduct. That Nevada prosecutor’s office appears to be overrun with prosecutors who don’t just break legal rules, but appear to be quite proud of it.

IMO, it’s become more important for some to win than to serve justice. That’s a violation of the public trust, and should never be tolerated.

Stallman will be Stallman, but he’s often right.

Rarely right. I've been on the receiving end of more than a few of his diatribes. His views on computing are bad enough, but when he starts telling you he'd love to have a child so he can have sex with her, it's more than the fact that the man is afraid of water and hasn't bathed in decades that makes me ill.

I’m not a fan of today’s collection practices. Nobody (including me) reads all the legal disclaimers when they do business on the web; unfortunately, there are those who are all too willing to capitalize on the shortcuts we take. The Europeans are working on solutions. And then there’s the rest of us.

The European solutions (as Stallman pointed out) don’t address the root cause problem: collection of the data in the first place.

All any government solution that allows collection will do is try to close the barn door after the cows are already out.

And besides, government wants and needs the backdoors anyway. The telecoms were granted full immunity from prosecution under privacy laws when responding to a federal request.

Any fake solutions based in “strict laws” will probably just be a source of revenue for government in the form of fines. Fines far lower than the profits the businesses make off of collection of the data.

Only small businesses are truly harmed by said fines. Big businesses consider them a cost of doing business and move on.

Data security is a horrid joke anyway. You really think your Doctor is truly following HIPAA regulations with their three Windows 7 PCs on a Netgear desktop switch stashed in a closet down the hall? Not a chance in hell.

Unless you see your Doc and Nurses whipping out a two-factor authentication device or swiping a fingerprint or doing a retinal scan to get back into their PC that logged them out while you said your pleasantries at the front desk, they’re not doing computer security of your data to the regulatory standard.

If you want some entertainment, ask them for their score on their last third party security audit and HIPAA certification. See if any particular Doc’s office can even find the thing.

Rarely right. I've been on the receiving end of more than a few of his diatribes. His views on computing are bad enough, but when he starts telling you he'd love to have a child so he can have sex with her, it's more than the fact that the man is afraid of water and hasn't bathed in decades that makes me ill.

Hmm never seen that part of his crazy, but there’s no doubt there’s significant crazy there. :)

The dude has gotten away with saying Lisp is the best programming language ever made for decades. He isn’t quite right in the head. :)

The European solutions (as Stallman pointed out) don’t address the root cause problem: collection of the data in the first place.

True. I likely give too much credit to the GDPR effort for attempting to at least acknowledge the problem. All regulation seems to point to containment vs prevention.

IMO, it’s become more important for some to win than to serve justice. That’s a violation of the public trust, and should never be tolerated.

There’s been no documented penalties or sanctions against any of them from the so-called “ethics” overseers. Losing cases isn’t really enough.

But big government is going to big government.

Back