Interesting airspace KSSC

Aye Effaar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JC
I normally fly out of the northeast, but was browsing around South Carolina's sectional chart today and stumbled across Shaw AFB in Sumter, SC (KSSC). If you review the chart, you'll see the airport is surrounded by a standard double-ring class C, but it has an inner ring that is class D (http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=33.973&lon=-80.471&zoom=11).

The Chart Supplement (A/FD) has this note:

AIRSPACE: CLASS C svc ctc APP CON svc 1200-0400Z; other times CLASS D.

This would seem to suggest the Class C is part-time and reverts to Class D after-hours. I'm not sure I understand how this affects the Class C airspace outside the surface area (the 5mi to 10mi ring) -- does that end during the after-hours as well? So there's no radio-contact requirements at that distance, nor are their transponder nor ADS-B requirements?

I normally fly out of the northeast, but was browsing around South Carolina's sectional chart today and stumbled across Shaw AFB in Sumter, SC (KSSC). If you review the chart, you'll see the airport is surrounded by a standard double-ring class C, but it has an inner ring that is class D (http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=33.973&lon=-80.471&zoom=11).

This would seem to suggest the Class C is part-time and reverts to Class D after-hours. I'm not sure I understand how this affects the Class C airspace outside the surface area (the 5mi to 10mi ring) -- does that end during the after-hours as well? So there's no radio-contact requirements at that distance, nor are their transponder nor ADS-B requirements?
Approach and Tower keep the same hours. Jacksonville Center runs things when they are closed. Typically C and D reverts to E or G in this situation. Only thing I can make out of this is they don’t want you flying through there in the wee hours without talking to ATC, which would be Jax Center. We all associate D’s with the Tower but that’s not what the rule says.

§ 91.129 Operations in Class D airspace.
(a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required by the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class D airspace area, each person operating an aircraft in Class D airspace must comply with the applicable provisions of this section.
(b) Deviations. An operator may deviate from any provision of this section under the provisions of an ATC authorization issued by the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the airspace concerned. ATC may authorize a deviation on a continuing basis or for an individual flight, as appropriate.
(c) Communications. Each person operating an aircraft in Class D airspace must meet the
following two-way radio communications requirements:
(1) Arrival or through flight. Each person must establish two-way radio communications with the ATC facility (including foreign ATC in the case of foreign airspace designated in the United States) providing air traffic services prior to entering that airspace and thereafter maintain those communications while within that airspace.

Last edited:

The Class C does not exist outside of published ours. This can be clarified by looking at FAA Order 7400.11, "Airspace Designations and Reporting Points" — the following entry is under Subpart C - Class C Airspace:

ASO SC C Shaw AFB, SC
Shaw AFB, SC (lat. 33q58'23"N., long. 80q28'22"W.)
Sumter Municipal Airport (lat. 33q59'45"N., long. 80q21'41"W.)
That airspace extending upward from the surface to and including 4,200 feet MSL within a 5-mile radius of the Shaw AFB, excluding that airspace below 1,500 feet MSL within a 2-mile radius of the Sumter Municipal Airport; and that airspace extending upward from 1,500 feet MSL to and including 4,200 feet MSL within a 10-mile radius of Shaw AFB; excluding that airspace contained within Restricted Area R-6002 when it is in use. This Class C airspace area is effective during the specific dates and times established in advance by a Notice to Airmen. The effective date and time will thereafter be continuously published in the Airport/Facility Directory. AMENDMENTS 01/25/01 65 FR 70302 (Revised)​

The Class C does not exist outside of published ours. This can be clarified by looking at FAA Order 7400.11, "Airspace Designations and Reporting Points" — the following entry is under Subpart C - Class C Airspace:

ASO SC C Shaw AFB, SC
Shaw AFB, SC (lat. 33q58'23"N., long. 80q28'22"W.)
Sumter Municipal Airport (lat. 33q59'45"N., long. 80q21'41"W.)
That airspace extending upward from the surface to and including 4,200 feet MSL within a 5-mile radius of the Shaw AFB, excluding that airspace below 1,500 feet MSL within a 2-mile radius of the Sumter Municipal Airport; and that airspace extending upward from 1,500 feet MSL to and including 4,200 feet MSL within a 10-mile radius of Shaw AFB; excluding that airspace contained within Restricted Area R-6002 when it is in use. This Class C airspace area is effective during the specific dates and times established in advance by a Notice to Airmen. The effective date and time will thereafter be continuously published in the Airport/Facility Directory. AMENDMENTS 01/25/01 65 FR 70302 (Revised)​

Bingo ! Thats the answer. Thanks

Back