Interested newbie, looking for economical options with great availability & flexibility

I wonder if the OP has discussed the idea of flying the kids with the ex-wife-to-be. Statistically speaking, general aviation flying is not as safe as either airlines or driving, so depending on how she feels about it, that could turn out to be a point of contention.

I wonder if the OP has discussed the idea of flying the kids with the ex-wife-to-be. Statistically speaking, general aviation flying is not as safe as either airlines or driving, so depending on how she feels about it, that could turn out to be a point of contention.
I'm not sure if they're true, but I've heard stories about judgements and divorce agreements that state "no GA for minor children." Wasn't that an issue on the Aerocommander / Superstition Mountain crash?

I'm not sure if they're true, but I've heard stories about judgements and divorce agreements that state "no GA for minor children." Wasn't that an issue on the Aerocommander / Superstition Mountain crash?

I don’t believe so. The minor children often flew with the father down to Safford.

OTOH, I believe the divorce of the fellow who crashed the 210 into the Mogollon Rim above Payson scud running a few years back had such a clause. However the ex had approved this particular flight for a ski vacation. I feel sorry for how the ex must rue the day she agreed to that. Her ex husband killed her only two children and the younger girlfriend in that crash.

Hmm, yes, probably best to not even mention flying until after all the agreements are finalized and hopefully nobody thinks of it.

specifically I’m thinking about a car that’s one’s own personal vehicle at an airport that you frequent. I’ve got one of those. I have a truck that sits and waits patiently for me at Brown in San Diego.
I made an incorrect assumption.

Lots of good advice so far. Ownership is pretty much the only way this will work in practice to have the required short-notice availability. Plus an owned aircraft is a known quantity in terms of operational safety and maintenence condition. Even a 100 kt plane will beat the tar out of driving. Now for the wet blanket. For better dispatch reliability, you will need an IR. And even with the IR there will be occasions where the trip will not be possible. And if you are on a strict timetable, the chances of weather getting you on the outbound or return trip is higher. The one advantage you have is that the trip is relatively short, within the same local weather conditions.

I used my own aircraft to do relatively regular weekend commutes between DC and home in Central New York when I was temporarily working at NIH. There were seasons, like mid November to mid-April when this trip was rarely doable due to ice and/or weather on the desired travel days. Even with 1 day flexibility on each end of the trip (which I could exercise) it was not always possible to make the trip by air. But when I could, it was gloriously better than driving 7 hours. Between May-November, I could make the trip about 50% of the time on the desired dates. Time to spare, go by air...

Back