Interested in the Cardinal

JackH

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jaywalker
Can someone give me a realistic value estimate for a Cessna 177B? The ones on Trade-a-Plane seem somewhat inflated from my inexperienced eye.

Can someone give me a realistic value estimate for a Cessna 177B? The ones on Trade-a-Plane seem somewhat inflated from my inexperienced eye.

There could be a $50,000 swing in prices based on any number of variables.

Base Vref for a 1970 170B is 39,000.

Last edited:
Jaywalker: Try going to CFO Online. There are usually several listed for sale there.

Thanks, I've looked at Cardinal Flyers, and I remain interested, but it'll be awhile before I write a check. Right now I can't tell the difference between a good deal and junk. That's not a good basis to begin negotiation, so I need to learn more.

Jack,

I have a 1971 Cardinal. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

I found that the good ones sell quickly, and for over Vref. I do really like the plane.

-Dan

I would like to someday be a proud Cardinal owner. If that day comes, I would prefer either a 1968 180hp conversion or a 1971 like Dan's. I wouldn't particularly want a later model.

Jack, where in Texas? I've been looking at them too and hope to find a good co-owner to partner with.

I researched the CFO website, comparing the various models. I ruled out the models with the single drive for the mags. I forget just what year the change was made, but it was after 1971 (I think it was '72). The '68 wing is, I think, a little faster, but the 150 HP is limiting, so I would want the 180 HP upgrade. If you wind up with a conversion, my mechanic said there were two STC's for the CS Prop conversion, and one of them was problematic due to repeated required inspections. The '69 was produced with the 180 HP, but not the CS Prop as I recall. I am not wild about the additional maintenance for a CS Prop, but I think the performance increase would be worth it.

AM88, San Antonio's quite a walk from Denton, unfortunately.

somorris, I've always thought a 180 HP with a fixed prop is a great compromise, but I'm coming around to the CS idea with gas prices as high as they are. I've heard about the dual magneto issue - can't remember where, but I read about an overhaul/rebuild/swap in which the guy went back to the dual magenetos, so maybe that's an option with a higher TTAF a/c.

Back