Interested in Starting an Airpark - SE WI

rkiefer2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rkiefer2
In yet another one of my entrepreneurial quests I've decided to take the airpark building concept a little more serious. I've met with a few folks at Sun N' Fun, Airventure, AOPA events, etc. Good conversations and seems like this process can be very ambiguous.

I'm a little nervous about the demand/usefulness of an airpark in SE WI. I've found a couple suitable locations between Madison and Milwaukee. Before I start making offers and going to meetings with local governments, DOT, FAA, etc. I'd like to get some unbiased feedback on whether or not people think this would be a success.

One of my primary goals is to give aviators a reason/excuse to visit this airpark having some fun and meeting some great people without the necessity of opening up the wallet.

Free/Reasons to Visit:
  • Aviators hanger/meeting center
  • Plane Washing Area (Free to use)
  • Free Flyin & Camping Events
  • Home Builder WS/Events
  • Young Eagles Events
  • Cook outs/Sporting Events
  • Outdoor Theater/Movie Nights

Income Streams At Airpark:
  • Residential Lots for sale (# not yet defined)
  • Residential Rental Properties (Maybe 1 - 2)
  • Fly up Campsites (Summer Only)
  • Fly up Cabins
  • Hanger Rentals

Thoughts, suggestions, constructive criticisms appreciated...

Thanks,

Roger

You need something more to do there. If there's cabins and nothing else to do for the family, it makes it a tough destination to talk the family into.

Altho my airport is on the exact same lattitude, I am 7000 higher up and winter here is serious.... Wis gets a fair amount of snow so unless you plan on plowing the runway all winter. You need to plan on making money 8 months out of the year...

Other then that, you sound like you have most bases covered... Personally I would meet with the local planners/ county to float the idea and get a feel of their mindset....

Bring it north of Milwaukee! Right off I-43 about 30 miles north. Is that farm with the strip that's off 94 west of Waukesha still for sale?

Bring it north of Milwaukee! Right off I-43 about 30 miles north. Is that farm with the strip that's off 94 west of Waukesha still for sale?

Im open for the area as long as its in the greater Milwaukee Area. That farm off 94 isn't for sale anymore...as far as i know.

Build it alongside a lake and next to a large wilderness area for horseback riding. Have a marina and a resort, maybe timeshare condos and large community hangars. The hydraulic stackers really are pretty economically efficient at increasing storage volume; wall height is enough cheaper than square footage, it pays for the lifts. Also add indoor rack storage and fork lift launching for boats. Add on some stables and a campground.

If you can combine flying, boating, and horses, you're in pretty good financial shape.

Im open for the area as long as its in the greater Milwaukee Area. That farm off 94 isn't for sale anymore...as far as i know.

Have you talked to any of the people at the airpark in Lake Geneva? They may be able to offer assistance. There is a farm on the south side of Port Washington with a grass airstrip. Not sure if it's being used. Never seen a plane there, and have seen the grass pretty long. There is a big chunk of land next to it for sale. Maybe look to see if the owners of the strip would be interested in an agreement/sale of the strip portion of their land. Plus it would be a 5 minute drive from my house!

Build it alongside a lake and next to a large wilderness area for horseback riding. Have a marina and a resort, maybe timeshare condos and large community hangars. The hydraulic stackers really are pretty economically efficient at increasing storage volume; wall height is enough cheaper than square footage, it pays for the lifts. Also add indoor rack storage and fork lift launching for boats. Add on some stables and a campground.

If you can combine flying, boating, and horses, you're in pretty good financial shape.

The farm I mentioned is a horse boarding facility, it's 3 minutes from the public docks on Lake Michigan, and the property next door is right around 100 acres. Plus new condos are going in downtown this year.

I wouldn't spend much money on a house that wasn't waterfront.

Cottage Grove airport may be for sale.

Back