Interested in East Kansas City area....

Matt Sollars

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
msollars
What a great forum!

I live in east Kansas City near the Grain Valley, MO airport. I'm interested in resources available to start working on my PPL. Wondering if anyone has connections to CFI or any other resource for a completely new, but very interested student. I'm 36, and a middle school science teacher. Flew a few times with an acquaintance out of the Grain Valley airport and downtown kc airport. Had a great time and just can't seem to shake the bug.

Thanks for any information in advance!

Matt

Hi Matt, welcome! Someone will be along shortly to help you. Enjoy the zoo!

Matt, hit the Kansas City Aviators FB page. There are quite a few instructors at K3GV, KLXT, and KGPH all of which should be fairly close to you.

I'm not on Facebook.....is there another way of getting that info?

I'm not on Facebook.....is there another way of getting that info?

Well, hmm. Chris Hope just won CFI of the year and I think he's at LXT. I might look into the flying clubs nearby, I don't think the one at Grain Valley is still functioning but LXT has a couple really active groups. They usually have their own CFIs who are also members so there's a vested interest there.

http://www.wingflyingclub.com/
http://www.flyingclubkansascity.org/
http://www.mitchellflyingclub.com/

The old flight school at 3GV closed in September but on their website it looks like they're considering forming a club. Says to contact them at info@flyingkc.com

I emailed them a few days ago after seeing the site.....nothing back yet.

thanks for the links.
Matt

Hey Matt,

Fellow middle school teacher here. I teach history. I feel your pain :D. Good luck with the journey. I can't help your with any local resources but I would recommend you start reading up and studying now. Find the FAA's airplane flying handbook online (free) and get some kind of Gleim/Jepp study kit.

i'd call this a hijack, but it's my own thread....

in addition to finding a flight training setup......what materials do you recommend to start studying for the written, and to gain useable knowledge.
Being a teacher.....the less $$$ the better!! any online trainings, etc are welcome.

looking for purely applicable info towards getting my PPL and passing any and all tests associated with doing that.

Thanks everybody!
Matt

https://www.amazon.com/Private-Pilo...=8-1&keywords=private+pilot+written+test+prep

I used last years edition. It was the only book I used for my written and passed on the first try. Once you start to feel comfortable with all the information, start taking practice tests online for free through websites like King.\

Edit: Also recommend Stick and Rudder that someone posted above. Great read and relatively cheap as well.

in addition to finding a flight training setup......what materials do you recommend to start studying for the written, and to gain useable knowledge.
Being a teacher.....the less $$$ the better!! any online trainings, etc are welcome.

looking for purely applicable info towards getting my PPL and passing any and all tests associated with doing that.

Thanks everybody!
Matt

I had good success for the ASA Prepware app on my phone. Whenever I had free time, I just ran thru test questions over and over. Can do it sitting on the couch with the game on.

Thanks everybody!
Matt

FAA books online for free. View or download them. These two will get you started, and probably allow, well, cause you to nap. A lot more at faa.gov also.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/pilot_handbook.pdf

I like Bill Kersher's books also:

https://www.amazon.com/Student-Pilots-Flight-Manual-Certificate/dp/156027719X

Last edited:
Welcome Matt,

One bit of advice: if Sporty's sells it, you likely don't need it!

They make a LOT of money off of wide eyes student pilots who don't know any better.

Here's a good resource for practice tests: www.exams4pilots.com

Okay, got a recommendation. Rebel Aviation. They have aircraft based in Roosterville by Liberty and Lee's Summit. The primary CFI is Angel Schlosser Chrisman. She was recommended by two pilots whom I know and respect. I think she has a C150 for $95 wet that she uses.

Matt,

Please not that Greg is an airline pilot. Thus, it might be wise to consider his opinion on a CFI with a wee bit more weight than that of the average schmuck like me here

I sent an email to Rebel Aviation. thanks for the input. feel free to keep it coming.
labbadabba- let me know if you find anything out on facebook.

A question I have regarding paid instructors. I noticed on a few sites it says that, (this varies) instructors will sign off on solo flights starting around 10-15hrs of flying time. When calculating total costs for the PPL......you have the plane rental (wet) price per hour.......and you have the instructor time (usually 50/hr or so) are you charged for instructor time after you start flying solo.....from say hrs 15-PPL cert??? or do you budget for the 10-15hrs UNTIL you start to solo??

thanks guys.
Matt

I sent an email to Rebel Aviation. thanks for the input. feel free to keep it coming.

A question I have regarding paid instructors. I noticed on a few sites it says that, (this varies) instructors will sign off on solo flights starting around 10-15hrs of flying time. When calculating total costs for the PPL......you have the plane rental (wet) price per hour.......and you have the instructor time (usually 50/hr or so) are you charged for instructor time after you start flying solo.....from say hrs 15-PPL cert??? or do you budget for the 10-15hrs UNTIL you start to solo??

thanks guys.
Matt

It won't be all solo time after your first solo. You have to do a minimum of 10 hours solo, and while it could be more, bear in mind that you have to do at least 3 hours of night time flying, 3 hours of instrument flying iirc, and probably at least a couple of cross countries with the instructor before you're finished. I don't know what's typical but I'm in the middle of this myself and I'm guessing I'll end up with 10 hours of my instructor's time post-solo, or maybe a little more. Also, my instructor charged me for his time for my first solo, which is fair enough because he had to hang around to keep an eye on me.

thanks guys.
Matt
Everybody is different: I can't remember how many hours I had before I hit my first solo.

In my experience: My first handful of solo flights happened after a lesson. We'd do some things, land, review the weather and wind, plan out some things to work on, then I'd go out again on my own. CFI time was spent during those pre-solo briefings, and it was fair to be charged for those hours. After a few of those, I was expected to phone my CFI to review winds and wx, then I could fly solo. My CFI didn't charge for that time. Even after you start to solo, you'll have a lot of dual time with your CFI for the rest of the flight requirements.

thanks guys.
Matt

For the rate on that C150, I would budget $8k and call whatever you don't spend gravy. What's your ultimate goal?

thanks for the input guys.
My ultimate goal would be the PPL cert., obviously. Practically, I'd like to be able to fly my wife and I places for day/weekend trips, fly my kids for fun, etc.
I'll never be financially setup for ownership, but I wouldn't rule out some sort of shared ownership or club ownership scenario.
I figured when I became a teacher they made a ton of money.....I guess that's not the case. :)
thanks again.
Matt

thanks for the input guys.
My ultimate goal would be the PPL cert., obviously. Practically, I'd like to be able to fly my wife and I places for day/weekend trips, fly my kids for fun, etc.
I'll never be financially setup for ownership, but I wouldn't rule out some sort of shared ownership or club ownership scenario.
I figured when I became a teacher they made a ton of money.....I guess that's not the case. :)
thanks again.
Matt

There are ways to fly (relatively) inexpensively. Self-study is the biggest way to save when you start out. Download and learn the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Airplane Flying Handbook. Learn and understand those two cover to cover (there is some overlap between the two) and you'll know everything you need to know for your PPL and then some. What you don't understand your CFI can help. Having a strong understanding of what makes a plane fly and what doesn't is more than half the battle. That way, when you're in the air and the plane does something you'll know why.

i ordered those books labbadabba. thanks for the recommendation.
I've been surprised by how few emails i've sent have been returned to different schools, etc.
i guess i'll keep looking.
Matt

i ordered those books labbadabba. thanks for the recommendation.
I've been surprised by how few emails i've sent have been returned to different schools, etc.
i guess i'll keep looking.
Matt

Flight schools come and go. Did you hear back from Angel? I told her someone may be reaching out. Flying Club of KC has quite a few students.

I'll have to check and see if I emailed her directly or not. Little blue Aviation contacted me shortly after my post (Matt Miller). I asked some follow up questions so I'll see what I get.
Flying Club of KC, I'll probably call them sometime soon. Seemed to be recommended on other forums as well.

Matt, hit the Kansas City Aviators FB page. There are quite a few instructors at K3GV, KLXT, and KGPH all of which should be fairly close to you.

What is the KC aviators page? I couldn't find it with a FB search.
Could you give a link please?

Thanks

Back