Interest in an "inexpensive" full-motion-simulator (AATD)?

robottwo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RobotTwo
Hi all,

I'm thinking about putting together a product for a full-motion (3-axis) flight simulator that would be significantly less expensive than those on the current market. Ideally, closer to $12-$20k rather than the $40k-200k for a Redbird or similar simulator.

I'm wondering if this is a product people would be interested in, if it were FAA-certified as an AATD device and supported pitch, roll, and yaw? Not exactly this, but to visualize think of a product built around a single seat, like https://dofreality.com/flight-motion-simulator/.

Feedback / comments / thoughts welcome!

The Redbird full motion thing is a toy. Worse than useless in training in my opinion. Note that these things don't really provide a realistic acceleration. And since most AATD use is for instrument training, motion is largely spurious to what's going on.

Could care less about motion. I’d be very interested in an AATD for $12k.

Agree. Full motion has no value. Being capable of being used as currency hours for IFR flight has value. Most pilots are cheap. Get that in the $5k price range, where the marginal cost is $1k, and you'll sell a lot. Even better? Lease the things. Today's computer industry is largely based on hardware being cheap/disposable, and renting the software. (Where the software is never quite right, so it keeps changing.)

just when he learned what all the buttons do

When I got the 480 installed, my wife asked me to explain what I was doing when I was operating it. I told her I just pushed the buttons until it did what I wanted.
She said she didn't know if she should be reassured or scared by that explanation.

Back around the turn of the millennium I was working for a British aerospace company. We started a project to build a C-130 simulator for demonstrating avionics, so I got to attend a military oriented simulator show down in Orlando. They had some great toys on display including a jet fighter sim with a 360 degree projection dome all run by some type of supercomputer hardware (SGI Indy or similar). My favorite demo was the helicopter seat that incorporated motion in the x,y,z axes. Rotational simulation is nice but that additional input would be over the top, e.g. for landing, turbulence, etc. Sadly the company was sold and ops moved to Austin so I didn't get to continue on that project.

Or put another way: Where the software keeps changing, so it is never quite right.

Nauga,
just when he learned what all the buttons do
Or was right but a useless feature was added and now isn't right.

Back