intercom recommendations

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
I have a PS Engineering Aerocom II in the 152. It seems it's time to replace it. I could just buy a new intercom of the exact kind or get something different.

Any suggestions?

I have a PS Engineering Aerocom II in the 152. It seems it's time to replace it. I could just buy a new intercom of the exact kind or get something different.

Any suggestions?

are you changing any radios? there are a couple that have the IC built in.

No the radios are fine as they are. Just need the intercom, I suppose its possible that it could be repaired too. Maybe I'll call PS tomorrow and ask if they can take a look at it.

I have had great success with my PS 1000ii intercom in my experimental.

I think that one is a panel mount and I need it to be separate... so I think I'll just another aerocom III like I have a count it good.

No the radios are fine as they are. Just need the intercom, I suppose its possible that it could be repaired too. Maybe I'll call PS tomorrow and ask if they can take a look at it.

the first thing you need to know is, if the problem is wiring or electronics

if the wiring is shot,,,,, fix it, if the box is broken, get a replacement, don't change make or model. Just plug a new one in to the harness.

They're a first rate company when it comes to customer service. Calling them would be a good idea. I imagine as Tom suggested that the problem could easily be a simple wiring problem and nothing to do with the intercom.

Just to clarify gents, Jeanie has a portable intercom, not a panel mount. I too had an Aerocom (don't remember if it was I, II or III) when I had my 172 & before I installed a panel mount 4 place. It was a good little unit.

Last edited:
Well, on the way home yesterday from ft stockton to alpine I noticed the sound in the left headset... fiddled w/ all combinations of plugging various sections of headset to various places - turning off radios and changing radios - etc etc etc and determined that it is the mic hole of the left side of the intercom. New one on the way - hopefully that's really all it is.
Seems the students thought it was maybe just intermittent wind sound from the vent in the wing root blowing on their mic.... Lesson learned - sit on the left side and use left side gizmos often enough to determine if students are having difficulties w/ something and thinking it's "normal".
It really is a very old unit and possibly could be repaired but I'd be surprised if they don't just say - ya'know just get another............ So I did.

EDIT: Just called PS Engineering and talked w/ Mark in the technical services dept. He suggested I check it w/ the plane on the ground just in case it is acoustic in nature and not electrical. And told me that repair costs a flat 79.00 which is better than getting a new one... So, now, I will probably be returning the one I ordered and maybe sending this one in for repair. If it is simply acoustical then I can order a MicMuff from Oregon Aero and that damps the incoming signal to the electret mic sufficiently to not turn on the internal squelch of the aerocom III.

Last edited:
the first thing you need to know is, if the problem is wiring or electronics

if the wiring is shot,,,,, fix it, if the box is broken, get a replacement, don't change make or model. Just plug a new one in to the harness.

This is good advice.

Lol.. I'm on my phone and just finished the thread. Hope it was just the connection.

Back