Intercom for the backseat / kids-only?

jimmyjack

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Nick
My plane doesn't have a proper audio panel...only a simple four-place intercom. It doesn't have any pax isolation features.

Well, my kid and her friends are starting to fly with me more often and, understandably, they just don't get when (or how) to be quiet.

So, right now, I am forced to just turn the intercom off which means I can a) concentrate but b) they can't talk or hear anyone or anything.

I'm not installing a full-blown audio panel any time soon, so I have this idea:

Just buy one of those portable four-place intercoms and sit it in the back. I had one in my 150 and it worked fine.

It doesn't even need to be connected to the crew intercom, just let them talk amongst themselves.

But the real question/purpose of this post is..... can I daisy chain it into the existing intercom? They just plug into the dual GA plugs. It would basically be intercom plugged into intercom. Not sure what the results will be, but even at worst case, they can talk to themselves, just not me.

BTW, mine has an isolation switch, and I use it whenever my girlfriend brings one (or both) of her kids flying with us. I talk to ATC, the three of them talk to each other, and everybody is happy.

BTW, mine has an isolation switch, and I use it whenever my girlfriend brings one (or both) of her kids flying with us. I talk to ATC, the three of them talk to each other, and everybody is happy.

Exactly. Mine just doesn't have that.

I’m an advocate for modern audio panels. The sound quality is astonishing and lots of options to isolate Pax and treat right seat as a pax or co-pilot.

After upgrading my KMA-24 with a 4 place Telex intercom to a PS Engineering 450A, I was shocked at the different in clarity. Hearing comms in stereo is unbelievable. Don’t get me started on Bluetooth streaming on ForeFlight annunciations too.

My RV-4 has an isolate switch. Somewhat unneeded in a two seat airplane... Since I fly solo most of the time, I never even turn my intercom on. I can also switch music (AM/FM/CD hard wired) to only passenger, which I've done before while I listened to my own music via Bluetooth to my headset.

Even my old portable intercom from early 90s has an isolate switch. Maybe your panel mount intercom has it, but it wasn't wired for the switch when installed.

Back