intercom delemma

Piper18O

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Piper18O
I have a Piper Comanche with a 2 place softcom intercom. It works okay, but the problem is that whenever we fly with others we can't easily communicate. We are planning on going to Oshkosh this year with another couple. Is it possible to incorporate a portable intercom with my panel mount? If so, how would it be configured? I have a push to talk on the pilot side yoke only. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how it might possibly work.

You can get a portable 4-place intercom
That runs on a battery or cigarette lighter socket. It will have male leads that will plug into one of your existing jacks and the passengers and copilot plug in there.

You can get a portable 4-place intercom
That runs on a battery or cigarette lighter socket. It will have male leads that will plug into one of your existing jacks and the passengers and copilot plug in there.
So do I plug it in to the co-pilot side, and then plug the other three headsets into the portable?

I have a Piper Comanche with a 2 place softcom intercom. It works okay, but the problem is that whenever we fly with others we can't easily communicate. We are planning on going to Oshkosh this year with another couple. Is it possible to incorporate a portable intercom with my panel mount? If so, how would it be configured? I have a push to talk on the pilot side yoke only. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how it might possibly work.

You should have a set of aux jacks into which you can plug in a portable 4-place intercom.

Unknown whether the PTT will work, there are a lot of different permutations in the design of various PTT switches and portable intercoms. You can get a portable PTT if the yoke PTT does not work with the portable intercom. Worst case scenario use a hand mic to transmit.

The jacks for the 2 place intercom are on pilot side and co-pilot side. If I plug in my headset in like I always do, I will be able to communicate with atc. If everyone else plugs into the portable, and the portable is plugged into the co-pilot side, will I be able to hear and talk to the others?

The jacks for the 2 place intercom are on pilot side and co-pilot side. If I plug in my headset in like I always do, I will be able to communicate with atc. If everyone else plugs into the portable, and the portable is plugged into the co-pilot side, will I be able to hear and talk to the others?
That’s what I would do.

Back