Intercept Procedure Reminder

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2010/Oct/Intercept_Procedures.pdf

In time critical situations where the interceptor is seeking an immediate response from the intercepted aircraft or if the intercepted aircraft remains non-compliant to instruction, the interceptor pilot may initiate a divert maneuver. In this maneuver, the interceptor flies across the intercepted aircraft’s flight path (minimum 500 feet separation and commencing from slightly below the intercepted aircraft altitude) in the general direction the intercepted aircraft is expected to turn. The interceptor will rock its wings (daytime) or flash external lights/select afterburners (night) while crossing the intercepted aircraft’s flight path. The interceptor will roll out in the direction the intercepted aircraft is expected to turn before returning to verify the aircraft of interest is complying. The intercepted aircraft is expected to execute an immediate turn to the direction of the intercepting aircraft. If the aircraft of interest does not comply, the interceptor may conduct a second climbing turn across the intercepted aircraft’s flight path (minimum 500 feet separation and commencing from slightly below the intercepted aircraft altitude) while expending flares as a warning signal to the intercepted aircraft to comply immediately and to turn in the direction indicated and to leave the area. The interceptor is responsible to maintain safe separation during these and all intercept maneuvers. Flight safety is paramount.

That sounds like a pretty good show at night.

Hopefully somebody will film it, I don't want to see it live.

Joe

That sounds like a pretty good show at night.

Hopefully somebody will film it, I don't want to see it live.

Joe

Does sound like a good show doesn't it? They sent a pair of F-14s to look me over on my way back from the Bahamas once. We were over there diving and a friend got badly bent. I called ahead and told them I would be coming in at low levels, <100' to minimize pressure issues on the injured diver. They sent them out to have a look at me anyway. They came alongside, MUCH closer than 500' BTW, more like 15', had a look, gave a wave, and went on their way. Customs at FXE was very nice as well (ambulance was waiting there) and gave me a quick throughput and said I could leave my plane there till later, no problems.

Mind you this was pre 9/11....

Does sound like a good show doesn't it? They sent a pair of F-14s to look me over on my way back from the Bahamas once. We were over there diving and a friend got badly bent. I called ahead and told them I would be coming in at low levels, <100' to minimize pressure issues on the injured diver. They sent them out to have a look at me anyway. They came alongside, MUCH closer than 500' BTW, more like 15', had a look, gave a wave, and went on their way. Customs at FXE was very nice as well (ambulance was waiting there) and gave me a quick throughput and said I could leave my plane there till later, no problems.

Mind you this was pre 9/11....

Post 9/11 - they are still waving...

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20020110X00053&ntsbno=ATL02FA032&akey=1
While enroute to the Bank of America Building the Coast Guard Helicopter intercepted the airplane and attempted to get the pilot to land. According to the Coast Guard Helicopter pilots, they believed the student pilot saw their hand gestures and gestured back, however, the Coast Guard pilots could not determine what kind of gestures the student pilot was making. Shortly there after, the airplane collided with the bank building imbedding itself into the 28th floor.

Speaking of waving...

Back in high school I lived in Ft Leavenworth. With the military prison, the federal pen, and two state pens right nearby, there was always something going on.

Our house was up on a bluff along the Missouri River. One day there was an escape at the military prison, so the helicopters were flying along the railroad tracks that paralleled the river, just below our house. I got home from school and my mom told me about the activities that day. She'd been outside doing yard work when the helicopters flew by at her eye level, with the guys and their rifles hanging out the sides.

She said, "They were pretty nice. They waved at me when they went by."
Me, "Did they wave at you like 'How's it going?', or did they wave at you like 'Get your *** back in the house!'?"
Her, ".....well, when you put it THAT way..."

Back