Integrated Garmin avionic stack

no and it isnt even a permanent mount, just a dock that is in the panel. kinda handy really, no wires running all over the cockpit etc. and it still isnt IFR legal if thats the root of your question.

Not as much as an IFR legality issue as just being able to slap the whole stack in without the risk of failling a friendly ramp check. Sporty's lists the Garmin panel avionics as "experimental aircraft only" :dunno:

You can mount almost anything in a plane with appropriate FAA approvals (usually a 337). You won't be able to use it for legal IFR, however.

I think that if you connect the dock to ships power permanently, then your A&P has to wire it in with appropriate fuse/breaker, and do a 337 to document it.

If you plug the power cord of the dock into the cigarette lighter, then it's not "permanent" so no 337 required.

The dock is essentially an alternative to a yoke mount, and is in reality just as temporary.

Under no circumstances is it approved for IFR except as an aid to situational awareness. In reality, I look at a 496 as a great way to get all the weather products into a cockpit with a more primitive IFR GPS, and it also makes a dandy emergency backup.

You can get a 496 dock permanently installed on a 337, and stick your 496 in the dock when you're flying, but it will be a VFR/situational awareness-only set-up.

TMetzinger said:
If you plug the power cord of the dock into the cigarette lighter, then it's not "permanent" so no 337 required.
In my Citabria I had my shop install a properly fused aux plug under the panel near the firewall, and then I just routed the plugin device there. At the time it was a PC Flightsystems eGyro solid state attitude indicator, which was then Dual Locked to the back side of the panel, giving it an installed look. No 337 required as legally it was just an aux plug and a portable unit.

Some Orlando FSDO guys who occasionally flew the airplane said it was OK like that, but if I'd used screws instead of Dual Lock to physically mount the device there'd be issues. Go figure.

Ken Ibold said:
In my Citabria I had my shop install a properly fused aux plug under the panel near the firewall, and then I just routed the plugin device there. At the time it was a PC Flightsystems eGyro solid state attitude indicator, which was then Dual Locked to the back side of the panel, giving it an installed look. No 337 required as legally it was just an aux plug and a portable unit.

Some Orlando FSDO guys who occasionally flew the airplane said it was OK like that, but if I'd used screws instead of Dual Lock to physically mount the device there'd be issues. Go figure.

Ken, this is EXACTLY what I have decided I intended to do, if'n'when I have my own plane, using a Dynon unit (the little one, fits in a standard hole).

SCCutler said:
Ken, this is EXACTLY what I have decided I intended to do, if'n'when I have my own plane, using a Dynon unit (the little one, fits in a standard hole).
Ah, yes, it fits in a standard hole. HOWEVER what resides out in front of the panel is wider than most panels will accommodate, that is, the neighboring instruments are too close to the "standard" hole.

I had that idea too and couldn't make it fit.

The part that goes behind the panel is pretty deep to.

A dynon 10A is on my wish list for the glider.

Ken Ibold said:
Ah, yes, it fits in a standard hole. HOWEVER what resides out in front of the panel is wider than most panels will accommodate, that is, the neighboring instruments are too close to the "standard" hole.

I had that idea too and couldn't make it fit.

Another genius... we keep plugging away at it...

Back