Insuring an ELSA with a non-traditional engine

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
Any suggestions for insurers?

My agent mostly does certified airplanes and her underwriters are not interested in the HKS700e that the.plane is running.

Find another agent. I've had no trouble insuring an ultralight with a Cuyuna engine or an experimental with a half VW, though those were liability only. I'm currently using Falcon, though my current [experimental] plane has a Lycoming engine.

Wow, the HKS700e, if they would add 2 cylinders could be a O200 killer.

I'm eyeing it because it burns 2.4 gallons per hour in cruise.
I think you'll find that the cost of fuel will not be one of the major expenses of your aircraft.

The average homebuilt flies 50 hours a year. Let's assume $5/gallon car gas. That's $600 a year for gas costs.

Insurance alone will run cost more that that. I'm paying ~$300 a year for liability only, and hull insurance would add quite a bit to that. Heck, in my case, annual hangar rent is five times my annual fuel cost.

So, unless your airplane is volume-constrained for fuel, pick the HKS because of its suitability to your airplane, or because you like the technical details. Not because of a low fuel burn.

Have only six HKS-engined homebuilt accidents in my database, but all were were non-engine-related.

As far as insurance is concerned, have you checked the EAA/Falcon partnership?

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks @wanttaja, the plane fits my goals, and it give me everything I want other than the engine. I am encouraged by the low fuel burn, but I have some hesitation about parts availability.

I have requested a quote from EAA/Falcon previously and the quote was a bit high ($2000 for liability only), so I am looking for other options.

I have an auto conversion (Corvair) on a Sonex tailwheel. Best recommendation I can offer:

Tell her I said hello ...

Back